Buy another vehicle or repair the one I got????

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shawn what IS your working on cars capabilities? You could easily change the spark plugs and wires yourself if you have even the slightest amount of experience doing more than changing your oil. Its really not THAT difficult. The hardest one is the back one on the passenger side but Ford made it easier to access via that little flap in the wheel well. A 3/8" drive ratchet, sparkplug socket and a couple of extensions and you're good to go. Yea you'll have a few scrapes and cuts when you're done but you will in NOWAY spend the kinda dollars that you'll pay somebody else to do it for you!

If you have an Advance Auto parts store in your town, go on the internet and get their coupon for 30% off and buy the stuff online then go in the store and pick it all up. I just got a set of Motorcraft wires for $41 after the 35% coupon I found. Just type in Advance Auto coupons and walla!

As for the tranny, I have a current nightmare going on with a remanufactured longblock that is going in my wife's '03 ST. Going on my 4th one in hopes that it will be a good one. I have a post on here that you can take a look at that started with it eating coolant and got worse from there.

I wouldn't necessarily say that the dealer will break it off in your everytime. I got a $5,200 number from the dealer today for a complete longblock replacement and I spent $4800 for the one that I am now going on my 4th one from a small mechanic that came recommended who is a friend of a friend. I really don't think he screwed anything up and I do think he gave me a decent deal at $4800 and then I get a price of $5200 from the dealer and quite honestly if I had it to do over again I would have spent the extra $400 and gotten a better longblock based on what I've learned in my current nightmare. Of course hindsight is ALWAYS 20/20. Just food for thought.

Latest posts