Business Question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaRue Medlin

Reaction score

1) I started my Locksmith business in Florence SC (2003). I had a 843 area code (CELL PHONE) for that number. The phone number is still active but since I no longer service Florence the phone is mostly quiet. I do still get the occasional call from an old phone book. But I no longer go to Florence.

2) The 843 number costs me $10 a month to have. I dont even have that phone turned on anymore. Just a voicemail saying CLK in Florence is closed.

3) My two advertised numbers are 803 area code for around here. One is a cell phone and the other is a landline switch number forwarded to my cell.

4) The switch number costs me $45 a month. The 843 cell $10.

Here is my question????

Would it be a smart move to port the switch number over to the phone that is 843.. and not used? This would accomplish 2 things. It would cancel the number not being used, and replace it with the 803 switch number. This would save me $45 a month. So instead of paying $45 a month for my primary local number, It would now cost me $10.. If I did this, both of my work numbers will be on a cell phone, and I can track all calls, which on my switch phone I cant.

Any thought or suggestions? I hope this made sense.

I'm a little confused, but I'll throw something else out there. Look into Google Voice, it's free and can forward calls and I believe you can port numbers over to their service.

JD, maybe this will make it more readable.

3 business lines:

803-495-3333 = $45 landline.......main number.....forwarded to 2063

803-847-2063 = $10 cell

843-662-5151 = $10 cell (closed,, but still active phone)

Drop the 5151 number (not used anymore) and port it to the 3333 number. Saving $45

Plus this would let me track my 3333 calls.

Last edited by a moderator:
Port 3333 to google = free (I think might be a 1 time fee?)

google number forwards to 2063 = free

still allows tracking calls

drop 5151 savings = $55

Even without google, why wouldn't you want to save the $45? There seems to be something holding you back from just making the decision and I'm not seeing that..

I would just shut off the 843 area code number, save $10, and leave it at that. I don't see the point of having a number for an area you don't service.

FWIW, I'm in business too and have areas I don't service (too far) and don't advertise in but people find me anyway.

There seems to be something holding you back from just making the decision and I'm not seeing that..

Jd, sometimes I can see the writing on the wall..... but just scared the wall will fall on me...:smack:

LaRue,

Have you looked at getting an 800 number? I think AT&T charges about $8.00 per month and 25.9 cents per minute (those are old rates)

If you join the North Carolina Farm Bureau you can have access to an 800 for only $1.50 per month and about 8 cents per minute.

You can also get a MagicJack on you home computer and it can forward emails with voice mail attachements to your cell phone.

...Rich

Key Guy,

Verizon is now offering a "home" cell service unit that attaches to your existing old wired phones and makes them a cell. Lots of advantages: If you have Verizon acct now, the cost is the same as adding another cell line $10 per month, calls from and to home are now mobile to mobile, shares anytime minutes with the other lines on acct., you can have our old number ported to the new cell and have the calls forwarded wherever. Cons include losing fax capability, cant do if you have home security connected, etc. They're giving away the units this month with sign up. The box is about the size of a data modem or router and has an antenna.

Something to look into. If you're like me, you use the cell much more than a land line anyway.

TBD

Another franchisee in my company looked into Magic Jack but I understood him correctly, the Yellow Pages will not put a Magic Jack number in the book.

Well, for less hassles I ported my $45 phone number over to my $10 number. Works just fine now. My Florence 843 number has gone bye bye. Thanks for the inputs....