Bumper discoloration?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Kingsley

Reaction score
I have been washing my trac with care and its almost a year old now. My bumber and running boards are turning from black and grey to a whiteish blotchy color. I have dried it after every wash and have tried cleaning it. I can scrape it off with my fingernal but the texture i cant get clean. Does anyone have a similar problem or possibly a solution? I have seen older tracks that dont have this problem. What am i doing wrong?

Tim

Last edited by a moderator:
probably caused by the water you use to wash the trac.... ? I have a friend who has a similar problem and that's what he said...

Could what you're washing it with be causing the fade? I had an older car with sun faded black bumpers once. ArmorAll or something like it made them look a lot better for a little while.

Well its an 05 and i try to take care of it but i cant figure this out. Heres a pic. I cant get into the texture to clean it.

[Broken External Image]:

Looks like hard water spots. Maybe Lime Away or something similar.

Bumber is appearing more and more lately - maybe it's a regional thing!

grump:p

ive tried bug and tar remover, simple green and even vinegar, i just cant find anything small enough to scrub into the fine texture of the pattern, dang need some sleep i cant spell worth beans. Graveyard shift is the pits.

I would take it to the dealership and ask them.. I have an O4' and I wash her weekly, no fading or discoloration so far on the top bumper pads. I did however have white spots/bubbles appear on the license plate lights and the dealership replaced them with no hassle at all. -Heather

I did take it there but they gave me attitude. Trying to get warranty work done is like pulling teeth let alone something this minimal. And yes i know Darin, if you read my posts i said i was having a hard time spelling due to lack of sleep.

Yeah that was my next action. Cheapy elec toothbrush is next step. Just dont want to do this every week i wash it :(

Gotta keep it clean though.

I tried Mothers Back to Black, the problem is its a build up of either soap scum or residue from hard water. I take it to the car wash and the only place i have a problem is the bumper because it is flat and the water settles into the texture before i can dry it completely. Hmm dry the windows, paint or bumper first, so many decisions. :(

Latest posts