broken aftermarket alternator pulley - what belt to use now??

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Corn

Reaction score
Hello. I recently had been using my stock serpentine belt with the following pulleys.

- ASP Undercrank

- Water pump

- alternator

My alternator died, and the lack of impact wrench made me try to remove the aftermarket alternator pulley. However i stripped the hello out of it. The one on the new alternator seems bigger.

What kind of belt do I use now? Can i still use the same (stock) serpentine belt?

well no. I have and will continue to have the ASP undercrank and the water pump pulley. The diameter of the OEM pulley on the new alternator looks bigger to me that the aftermarket one I bought from Zabtek.

Get a piece string and measure the belt path and then buy two or three likely belts and return the ones that don't fit.

Long as the belt is between the tensioner marks. Last two belt part numbers designate length. (0608XX)

http://www.mysporttrac.com/shared/msgboard9e.asp?BOARDNAME=MSG&VIEW=1245803&SUB=1245886

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks swshawaii. Not sure i understand what that means. I did manage to get my stock belt back on. It was very tight and I used a 3/8 ratchet to pull down the tension pulley, so maybe thats why it seemed harder than usual to put on.

The belt length indicator is a gauge, typically to indicate when the belt has stretched to the point where slipping or breakage may occur and, to a lesser extent, tension range (but I doubt its accurate toward that end). The belt length indicator should fall between the two marks.

Too short and there may be premature belt and or bearing wear; too long and the aforementioned slipping or breakage.

In the case of non-OEM pulley and belt sizes, it may not be accurate.

In the case of non-OEM pulley and belt sizes, it may not be accurate.

100% true, thanks. Tensioner marks using under drive pulleys would NOT be accurate. For those using STOCK pulleys, see picture #7 in linked project for wear indicator marks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts