brakes

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis Shelley

Reaction score
mine is a 2001 4X4 with rear drums. 220,000 miles original owner.

do not believe the self adjust brakes or auto adjust will advance the brake shoes to compensate for wear. I thought so. However another ST fan advised to adjust the rear with drums/shoes to compensate for wear of the rear brake shoes at every oil change. Followed his wise wisdom and the brakes on my 2001 are much better and I can with out exception rely on the Parking brake to completely stop my ST should the main hydraulic system fail.

Do it, adjust those drums manually. that ST needs you.

Dennis :driving:

Or buy a new adjuster hardware kit or clean and lube whats in there. Not hard to do, and even easier with all the vids for Ford drum brakes on yu tube. :driving: Could be some good pics in the Project section.

Replace the auto adjust cable and lube the starwheel threds. The cables get streched and the star wheels stck.

Also the auto adjusters work when braking in reverse. So I if you use the park brake in reverse from time to time. The adjuster has a better chance of working. As the park brake applies the rear most shoe. That is the one the cable to the starwheel is hooked to.

I have had good success on rear drums auto adjust. When I apply the park brake about 3 times inreverse about once a month.

Latest posts