Brakes squeeking

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlipTrac_511

Reaction score
A few months ago my rear brakes started squeeking intermittently and also slightly groans when applying brakes when backing down a driveway. I'm pretty sure the noise is coming from the rear brakes. What do I need to inspect and get rid of the nosie? (I had replaced all pads/rotors about two years ago).

Gen1 trucks have drum brakes on the rear axle, disc brakes on front. You need to pull the rear drums for inspection. Parking brake cables may not be releasing fully, causing shoes to drag. Also recommend replacing brake fluid every two years.

2003 and newer ST's have rear disc brakes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oops, didn't know that - just working from setup on the '02 Trac I had. Noise then could be from the parking brake shoes not fully disengaging. He'd need to pull rear rotors off then to check those and associated cables.

Brake noise can come from anywhere there is vibration or binding. Inspect the caliper slides to ensure they are moving freely and replace the rubber boots if brittle or cracked. Check out the pad hardware (abutment and retaining clips). These will loose 70% of their tensile strength within 24 months of installation, so they likely need to be replaced.

As Vic mentioned, pull the rotors and look at the parking brake shoes. If they are improperly adjusted they can contact the drum and cause noise.

Good luck!

Thanks guys. To reiterate what swshawaii mentioned, my 04 has rotors in the back, not drums. The parking brakes were fine when I replaced the brakes. Any reason they adjusted themselves after the new brakes went on?