Braker Controller Harness '07

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Beil

Reaction score
Question regarding the wiring for the brake controller harness on my 07, with Class III tow. I wired the harness as instructed from the brake controller instructions and the instructions from the wiring guide from the harness that came with the truck. Outlined below is how I wired everything, my question is that the harness from the truck has a brown wire for the running lights, where is this supposed to tie into? I have it wired to the red battery line for now just to get lights, but as you would guess the lights stay on all the time, so i havae to unplug the trailer to turn off. Any suggestions on where I can tie this brown wire from the truck harness?

Truck to Brake Controller

Blue(Brakes) to Blue(Brakes)

Violet/White(Stoplights) to Red(Stoplights)

Brown(running lights)??????

Black/White(Ground) to White(ground)

Red(Battery) to Black(Battery)

I've never added a controller to an exsiting wired setup.. soo...

are there any unused wires in the glovebox? (that is where the factory hookup is right?)

if not then I guess you would need to run a wire from the headlight switch over to the hookup spot.

The harness hookup is under the driver side dash, near the e brake. I was looking at tying into the headlights but just don't know which wire is best to use?

Rob, you don't need the Brown wire and your other connections are correct. The trailer (running lights) lights get power from the existing 7 Round trailer connection at the back of the truck. If you have a tester, the pin at the top right (if you are facing the 7 pin connector) should get +12v when you turn the park lights on.

Edit: I don't know why Ford includes the Brown wire in their brake controller wiring harness connection? Maybe it's required on older Ford vehicles that did not come with trailer wiring, I don't know...but I know it's not needed on ours. I have a brake controller on my 07 ST, see my library for details.

Last edited by a moderator:
That was actually my initial thought as well, no need for an additional running lights. I used to have a trailer with just the 4 pin connector and nothing was needed for the lights, make sense. I hooked everything up for the harness and did not originally wire the brown(running lights) wire. When i had it wired like this the running lights did not come on with the parking lights. That is when i wired to the battery line to get power. Doesn't really make sense. I guess maybe i need to get a tester to test the 12v line

Rob, there is a separate fuse on the ST for the "trailer" running lights that is probably blown. The fuse box is under the dash on the same side as the brake controller wire harness connection, check that fuse I bet it has blown.....

Thank you for the suggestion, never even thought that would have a fuse. just now had a chance to check the fuse and sure enough it was blown, now need to just pick up a fuse. Hard to believe that this truck did not come with spare fuses.

Now make sure you test the brake controller with and without the trailer on. Or, you going to stop for the first time pulling the trailer and it will lock the trailer wheels up for a nice skid. Pretty funny when you see it...lol. If your controller has a light on it I always adjust mine to a nice orange color, not red. For me it allows the trailer to slow down without the feeling of pulling on the tow rig.

Latest posts