Brake update- my '05

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Maurer 2

Reaction score
To recap- I had the weird, soft brake pedal every 5 or 6 stops. All pads OK- I guessed master cylinder, dealer did diagnostics and arrived at same conclusion- dealer wanted $825 to fix. I had it done at local independent- $75 for rebuilt cylinder, $260 labor, system bled, etc. Result-NO CHANGE. Could it be related to cruise control? When I bought the master cylinder, auto parts shop asked-cruise control or not? I answered yes, but my cruise control does not work and has not since I bought the truck. Might there be some connection here? Should I get an estimate on repairing the cruise control?

I am guessing the reason the cruise control doesn't work is because the seal on the pressure broke and the fuseable link blew.

This is only a guess.

Tom

I do not think it will have any connection.

They master cylinder has a switch mounted on it that will shut off the cruise control. This switch is a common failure and part of a TSB/Recall that Ford has out as it can cause fires.

Your switch may be defective not allowing the cruise to work. That said, it could be leaking and then in fact affecting the brakes. However, you would have seen this leak LONG ago based on how much you have been in the area I would think.

Take a good look at all of the rubber lines as they can provide "give" and allow for a soft pedal. Normally, if the hose is bad you will see a sign on the hose, something different than what the rest of the hose looks like. A bubble, kink, worn spot, that kind of thing...

Paul,

The cruise control switch that Tom refers to is on the Master Cylinder. It is not an expensive part, and honestly I would just replace it to be sure. (this might get your cruise working again) I would think however, that if it were leaking or seeping to the point that it affected the feel of the pedal, then you would see brake fluid around it.

When it happens, can you "pump up" the brakes and get a stiff pedal? Other than a defective replacement master cylinder, you might check the rubber flexible lines going to the calipers and the rear axle. If the Master cylinder is good, that fluid has to be going somewhere if not leaking on the ground.

Just thinkin :)

Dave

EDIT: Dangit Coastie... You beat me to it... :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts