Brake Squeel

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe B 4

Reaction score
All right looking for solutions here to a random brake squeel I have on my '07 4x4 w/ 2,600 miles on her. Every once in a while while coasting or very light on the throttle in parking lots, I got a VERY LOUD and annoying squeel. Not what I expect from a brand new truck afer what they sell for. I have had it in the dealer once for this and they replaced a rotor(peak and valley on edge), resurfaced all of them, new pads and while going to Sport Chalet the other day, there was the squeel again.

I plan on taking it to the dealer again, luckily my buddy is a service director there, but would like soem direction if some of you have encountered this.

I am thinking parking brake adjustment as when it happens, I can make it go away by stopping, setting the parking brake and then releasing it again.

Saw it and started new thread so as not to hijack that thread. Appreciate the advice, any recomended pads?

I've taken my '07 to the dealer twice for the same thing. Both times could not duplicate - no problems found.

Good luck. Makes my truck seem cheap when people hear me coming.

hmmm, you never used your parking brake and had the same issues? I was thinking a warped rotor or brake shield as it rubbed at a intermitent rate. I was also thinking possibly pinion related?

Sorry to hear I am not the only one that feels cheap rolling through a parking lot in a nice looking truck.

i squeak like crazy, its so embarassing, but i checked my pads, they are good still, brake guy said i just had to deal with it. sometimes i just turn the music up so loud so i cant hear it.

Yep, blast the music and try to ignore all the folks looking at your load, cheap sounding, good lookin truck. Well I do not feel too bad since my daughters horn went out on her new Honda Civic. We kind of laugh about it, she can not be heard when she wants to be and I cant help but be heard when I do not want to be. LOL

Get some good pads and replace them. You will never have that issue again.

If you live close to the Akron, Ohio area, you are more than welcomed to do it here. I will help.

Always use the parking brake. It is designed to use it. You may get into a situation where you need it and if you never use it, there may be a chance it wont work.

Tom

Yes, the parking brake is your friend, especially since Ford came up with this genius system that allows you to pull the hand release with your foot, so you don't have to reach down.

If the word hadn't been stolen, I'd call that downright progressive.

(Unless they phased that out on the new STs...)

i
Yep, blast the music and try to ignore all the folks looking at your load, cheap sounding, good lookin truck.

i take offense to that Mr. Joe, im guessing you meant loud instead of load, which is true it can be loud, and good looking, yeah i agree with that. but cheap sounding, wrong.

LOL Do not mean to offend but if you heard my brakes squeel you would agree it sounds cheap. I can not believe how loud the squeel is. I have a pretty loud sound system too and can still hear it pretty good. Going to Ford tomorrow to talk to them about it.

Been to Ford 5 times already and they can not replicate it. They have replaced rotors and pads, resurfaced rotors many times. However, every one that has been in my truck has had to ask, "WTF is that?"

Since it has dropped in value so quickly I figure my options are it may be time to either lemon law it or just bite the bullet and do a full brake upgrade. If I do the upgrade I am thinking EBC, any other suggestions?

Gonna try to see if the local dealer will do the install if I buy the parts just to get rid of this problem.

Funny you say that, he mentioned it to me last time as a possible source. I also know I have it coming from the front left rotor as well and it is already scored. Truck only has 8,000 miles and rotors have been replaced and resurfaced less than 600 miles ago.

My squeal happened foot on or off, parking brake on or off. Mostly slow speeds, never above 25MPH.

Dealer said that they forgot to lube the rear wheel bearing seal, and that TSB tells them to put a special lubricant on it. He said the TSB specifically tells them not to replace the seal or the bearing, that it just needs the seal lubed. I don't know any more, but my sqeal is now gone after 4 attempts that included turning all the rotors, lubing the brake caliper slides, replacing one rear caliper, etc.

Latest posts