Brake shoe/pad thickness

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benny Kearns 2

Reaction score
Hello all,

Anyone know how thick new rear brake pads and parking brake shoes are and how thick each would be when it is time for me to replace?

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
My rule of thumb is. When bonded pads are the thickness of a qaurter or nickel. I replace them. Sooner if the pads are the riveted type.

Unless you drive with the park brake on..LOL. They should be fine. You might want to adjust them so they lock sooner. Dont want them to drag when you spin the rotor, though.

The wear limit for the rear pads (disc not drum brakes) is 1 mm, according to the service manual for a 2002 ST.

You asked for the thickness of new rear pads, and I don't know, but new front pads are roughly 10 or 11 mm (just guessing from when I installed a pair a few years ago).

1 mm is too thin for my safety. If pad is wearing uneven. You will get metal draging on the rotor very quick. Also, 1mm is not enough pad material to disapate heat. The metal backing plate is 4 to 5mm, and will retain alot of heat.

I agree with Eddie, 1mm of brake pad is way to thin for my comfort. New pads are about 3/8" thick and when they get down to about 1/8" I will be looking to change them within 1000 miles or as soon as I get time...which ever comes first. :grin:

...Rich

Latest posts