Brake problems

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doug brandin

Reaction score
Hey fellow trac'ers, I need so0me help. '05 with 54000 miles; first time to change brakes. Cannot loosen mounting bolts. Are they righty or lefty? They are 16mm, right? What do you do to loosen them? I've already tried WD-40 and they are beginning to round off. Not room for wrench, except socket

Are you talking about the caliper bolts or the bracket?

They are both lefty loosey.

The bracket bolts have lok-tite on them. you may have to heat them or get a long breaker bar. To get them loose.

I've already tried WD-40 and they are beginning to round off.

Use a six point socket whenever it's possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Steve is right, 6 point only. The bracket bolts is no place for a 12point socket.

I have very few 12 points. Most of my 12 points are small cheapies. I buy 6 point sockets. Saves a ton of headachs...

Changing the pads and rotors is so easy. You must be talking about the caliper bracket bolts. It is the normal "lefty lousy" and "righty tighty". Just give the wrench a couple of whacks with the hammer and they will come loose. I torqued mine back one but can't recall the ft lbs. I'll look it up for you in you need the info.

Doug in NC

Latest posts