Brake problem- still squishy

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Maurer 2

Reaction score
I am trying to correct a problem my '05 has developed- about 20% of the time, my brake pedal will suddenly fail during a stop and travel to the floor as I press it, like it suddenly loses pressure in the system. The truck will still stop, but the pedal makes a strange sound and the pedal travels more than it should. I had the master cylinder replaced and the brakes bled, but it is still happening. Any ideas?

Sounds like another bad master cylinder. Pedal hitting the floor would have to be brake hydraulics, and no fluid loss would mean bypassing/leak inside the master cylinder. Now, if the pedal were dropping more than normal, but you still had braking ability, I would be looking at the brake booster unit as having an internal vacuum leak, etc.

Rather than start a new thread... I co-opt this one.

Anyone changed a Master Cylinder?

Left campus this morning, brake pedal went to the floor but I got some brakes at the bottom of the pedal travel. By the time I got out of traffic, I got the Check Engine Light and the brake light is on (low fluid). I haven't read the codes yet.

Fluid is almost gone. No sign of leaks at the wheels. I refilled the reservoir, it will build pressure but it dumps and the pedal sinks to the floor. And, it's loosing a bit of fluid.

I figure I've lost a seal in the master cylinder.

javascript:insertAtCursor(document.forms['MESSAGEFORM'].MESSAGE,':angry:')

Latest posts