Brake lights

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys bit of a problem here and looking for ANY help...

I have a 2003 sport trac and today I discovered I have no rear breaklights except for the one on the cab. My 4 ways work and my driving lights, but when I use the breaks they do not light up. I checked the bulbs and they seem fine (seeing as the 4 ways work as well). I am totally lost can anyone shed some "light" on this for me?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Tilt the steering wheel up and down see if that fixes it...

DO the directionals work, NOT the 4 ways ???

There was an issue with the steering wheel colum wiring...

Also some one else had a module go bad I think... I cant remember..

Todd Z

Hey thanks for the quick reply!

Yeah the directionals do work. I havent tried the tilt I will in the morning and get back to you!

Go to an auto parts store and ask for a "stoplight switch" or "brake light switch". It'll be up under the dash behind the brake pedal.

mike,

there were issues with a wire stretching in the steering colum and eventually it would either snap or come out of the connector...

Todd Z

Thanks Todd,

I haven't been into a steering colum before is there much to it or should I bring this to a shop?

several members fixed it them selves, BUT don't rule out other things, The wire thing is the "Common" reason...

IT could be a blown fuse, electrical wire broken under the truck.

Todd Z

I dont think it is a fuse I went through them and didn't see any that were blown. Also I tested the connecters and all I know is that the break is before them. There is 5 pins in each connecter one seems to be directionals and works, one sees to be driving lights and works one seems to be reverse and works and 2 do not. 1 might be ground and the other I am thinking is the brake lights. So... this would mean the break is before the connecter lol but there sure is alot of wire before the connecter

Last edited by a moderator:
Your Welcome, Glad it was diagnosed...

Todd Z

Latest posts