brake job question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George Doogle

Reaction score
Any suggestions on how to get the top caliber anchor plate bolt loose? Doing the brakes on an 01 4x2. Getting stuck very early in the process. Gonna be a long day.....

Thanks

If you are referring to the bolt that holds the caliper support bracket, I would suggest the following..

These are in there pretty tight. 3/8 drive ratchets are NOT the tool to remove them. You need either a large box end wrench or a 1/2 drive ratchet and the proper socket.

If all else fails, use a breaker bar with a pipe slid over it for additional leverage. If you do not have a breaker bar, you could use the ratchet as long as it is 1/2 inch drive, anything smaller will simply break. If you do use the pipe and ratchet system, slide the pipe on as far as it will go. The closer to the head the less the spring leverage is exerted to the tool.

Good luck...

thanks coastie. I did the next best thing. i used my 'pool cover spring stretcher bar' on the end of my socket wrench. worked like a champ.

Thanks.

Coastie is right. Those suckers are on there tight!

I think PVC pipe would just break. I didn't have a breaker bar handy, so I slid the socket end of my lug wrench over the end of the 1/2" drive socket wrench handle for leverage, to get mine loose.