Brake caliper bolts fell out!!!!!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vince Coshenet

Reaction score
Soooo, I drove around all day today. Ended up renting a car dolly to pick up my wife's car which wouldn't start at work. Couldn't get the car off the dolly and ended up just dropping the car and the dolly at the mechanics. While turning around I had to back up. The brake caliper pivited up and PUNCTURED MY RIM. Apparently three of the four bolts holding the caliper and bracket on fell out. I managed to make it home but now have two cars down in one day.

:angry: :cry: :fire:

Had a similar happening with my old Honda. One of the Caliper mounting bolts just got loose (never fell out) and I would hear a loud clunk when I hit the brakes.

I had just done a brake job a few days earlier, and either failed to torque the bolt down all the way, or perhaps got distracted and only installed it finger tight....:cry:

I usually torque bolts down in 3 steps and perhaps I just missed the last torque step on that bolt? I probably had a senior moment, but I was only about 50 then....:grin:

Latest posts