Bought a new toy...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Palmer

Reaction score
Bought this a few days ago. All I need now is summer so I can use both my Jet Ski's and the bike.

I would venture to guess I will make the move to a warmer climate so I can get more use from these...

2006 Honda VTX 1300R.

[Broken External Image]:

And bought these last year, only have 6 hours on them so far...

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Kevin,

I feel your pain. I had my Honda out yesterday. It was a little on the cool side, but I had to ride. I stopped by the HD dealer near my house. I got the bug really bad. I am trying to fight it off pretty hard.

I considered getting something like you go simply because of the price, but the feel of the HD alone just does it for me, where those bikes are like looking at a new Toyota. It might be nice, but it just doesn't give you that wow factor.

That is a great looking bike and I LOVE that color.

Tom

Kevin,

I'm sure you heard of the old saying: The only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys. :grin:

Nice bike and nice JetSkis...It sounds like you will be having a lot of fun this summer, as soon as that Ohio weather warms up, and it stops raining.

...Rich

Tom,,,

I went to the Harley Dealer to buy a used bike. They are also a Honda Dealer.

It was like 8 grand difference, so I paid cash for the Honda.....

I owned a Harley Night Train, but sold it foolishly....

I think this Honda will do what I want....

I hear ya Rich, I just want to be young enough to enjoy it all....

CJ, nice bike. I have looked at used Harleys also. Too much $$$

Maybe when my annuities mature.

It was like 8 grand difference, so I paid cash for the Honda.....

That is my problem. I REALLY want a Harley and considered getting a newer Honda or Yamaha cruiser that looks like a Harley. Even though I have looked at the Jap models, I just can't make the plunge and regret not going with the Harley.

I will be getting a Harley, the only question is when. I found a real nice Road King for an affordable price, but it is really older than I want. On top of that, I am struggling if I should go with a Road King or a Softail.

The wife likes the Softail better than the Road Kings, though I like the hard sides of the Road Kings over the Softails soft sides.

Tom

I was just like you Tom...

But,,,, when I saw the bike and it looks like a Harley as far as not looking like a "Jap" bike, it was a pretty easy decision at that point...

thanks for posting pics of your waverunners :cry:

"And bought these last year, only have 6 hours on them so far..."

i can help you add some hours :grin:

i miss mine :banghead:

congrats on your new bike :supercool:

Nice bike!

If you haven't ridden in awhile make sure and reacquaint yourself before getting into traffic. MSF is usually cheap or maybe even free, and generally pays for itself just with the insurance deduction they give you for having completed a safety course.

JD,

I have had my endorsement for something like 20 to 25 years or so. That said, I have not ridden seriously in 3 or 4 years.

I rode it home the day I bought it and it all came back pretty quick. Even did one defensive maneuver to avoid a VW Beetle from pulling over onto me...

Gary,,,

When I bought these last year I was BEGGING for people to help me get some hours on them.

I had to "respect" the break in period and it was killing me.

Wasn't allowed to exceed 45 MPH, no prolong same speeds, ect ect ect...

At 10 hours they get a total going through from the dealer then you are good to go. As I never really rode them hard, I called and got permission to run them hard the last day I rode them. I basically wanted to make sure i had my protection coverage in the event there was an issue kind of thing.

The supercharged intercooled model has a limiter that stops it at 82 MPH. I went to 74 MPH and figured that was good enough....

Looking forward to summer,,,, if it ever comes around....

When I bought these last year I was BEGGING for people to help me get some hours on them.

You did not beg me. I would have made a run to the lake in a heartbeat. Theresa has never been on one of those.

Tom

Well Tom,,,

The invite is still open.

The weather is just starting to break. I will keep in touch and we will make a day of it.

Sound good?

By the way, these are HUGE skis, very stable. They are basically small boats. Digital compass and GPS, cruise control, have electric brake with reverse, fit 3 persons each and will easily pull a skier or tube behind them...

Let me know in advance so we can plan our schedules. Both theresa and I are working full time jobs. (She actually is working two jobs)

I am all over that. that would be real fun.

Tom

"By the way, these are HUGE skis, very stable"

i prefer the smaller "2" seater that really is best with a solo ride.

[Broken External Image]:

"very stable"

how is this classic for stable. the 92 kawasaki ts (on left), we used to call it our water cadillac :bwahaha:

[Broken External Image]:

i like your 80 MPH :supercool:

The first set I had were Polaris 3-seaters. After owning them, I was sure I would never have anything less than 3-seaters and decent horse power.

I am able to go fast if I want or need to, and yet enjoy the comfort of a nice ride as well as have 1 or 2 others on them. I enjoy the company.

If I wanted the solo ride, then I would have gotten the same ski's in the 2-seat version as they go even faster. But at 70 MPH for the slow one, I'm just fine with the speed....

Kevin,

How is that bike for power and sound? Does it sound like a large displacment V-twin?

I have been entertaining the idea of going with a VTX. I really want a H-D, but it is just so hard to justify spending $12,000 for a HD of the same age when something like that can be had for 1/2 the cost.

I am trying to get it out of my head, but it doesn't seem to leave.

Tom

I have only ridden it twice, actually about to hop on it now to go to the store.

I like the sound. You can definitely hear the exhaust not certainly not to the degree that it is uncomfortable. It is a deep sound as compared to the crack that many exhausts have. I believe it is because the engine is a 1300 as compared to say a 650 or 750.

The power is fine. The engine is large enough that you can get enough power to get out of the way if you need to and still get decent MPG. All I have read tells me I will get about 45 MPG as compared to smaller engines that will get more.

The VTX comes in a few models, 1300R, 1300C and I think a 1300T. The R model has the solid rims like mine which are tubeless. The other models require tubes and do not have the custom rims.

So far, I am very happy with the purchase...

Latest posts