Bought a German Friend for my Trac

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
[Broken External Image]:

Bought a 2007 BMW Z4si as a daily driver. My 16yo daughter is now the primary driver of my Trac. While I miss my truck, the 27mpg has been a welcome change. I'm sure I will be keeping the Trac until it no longer functions as a vehicle - almost 200k miles and still going strong.

Very nice![Broken External Image]:[Broken External Image]:[Broken External Image]:[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
They are even fun to work on.

If you plan on changing your own oil, you'll probably need an oil extraction pump, as mine sits too low to drive up on ramps.

Want this to be my next bimmer:

[Broken External Image]:

Two ways to solve: Drive front wheels onto 1' pieces of 2"X6" board; then you can get a decent jack underneath to raise car and put on jackstands. Second way is different set of ramps - I bought a set of Race Ramps, which solved the problem. If you're looking for a well-maintained Bimmer, look at the ads on BMWCCA, the national club.

Luckily, someone bought me a jack years ago for a holiday that was for low clearance cars. I have only ever used it when replacing ball joints on the trac, but it will easily roll under the 5 inch clearance of the Z.

I always have trouble getting used to the sheer volume of oil required for European cars. The Z4 takes 7 quarts (almost), the Jaguar I used to own took 7.5, and the Audi takes 9.

Keith,

IMO, I always thought a larger oil sump was best. I never understood the small 5qt pan on the big block torque monsters of yester-years. Factory knowing why we bought them. Maybe it was a $$$ thing. We had shorter warranties. They probably hoped for the dealer rebuild work...:fire:

Eddie,

I agree completely. I work on a lot of domestics, so the larger oil volume of the imports amuses me. The first time I changed oil in the Jaguar (years ago), I used the same oil bucket as the Trac. Rampant oil flooding ensued.

At least with the Z4 they were smart enough to put the oil filter right on top where you can get to it - and it pretty much drains before you remove it. Although, being scalded by oil running down my arm while changing the oil in the Trac does have its charm...

I traded a 2007 335i to the ford dealer when I got my Trac. I never changed the oil myself because it came with dealer service maintenance for 100k miles. After being a total pain in the ass (3 fuel pumps, electrical problems, turbo issues, etc. etc.) I knew I didn't want to be financially responsible for maintenance and service after the warranty. I couldn't wait to get rid of it. But, because it was also a kick in the ass to drive, I'm looking again after being away less than 2 years. Looking at 535s and 550s this time around.

BTW - my brother works for BMW. They have an awesome purchase plan for family, but getting one that is 2-3 years old at half price is a lot better.:driving:

The first time I changed oil in the Jaguar (years ago), I used the same oil bucket as the Trac. Rampant oil flooding ensued.

Oops! That's hilarious. Nothing like 2 1/2 quarts of used, hot oil on the floor. :rofl:

ncstatewolfpacker,4/24/2014 08:05 MT

I traded a 2007 335i to the ford dealer when I got my Trac. I never changed the oil myself because it came with dealer service maintenance for 100k miles. After being a total pain in the ass (3 fuel pumps, electrical problems, turbo issues, etc. etc.) I knew I didn't want to be financially responsible for maintenance and service after the warranty. I couldn't wait to get rid of it. But, because it was also a kick in the ass to drive, I'm looking again after being away less than 2 years. Looking at 535s and 550s this time around.

You are going to have the same issue with the 535 as you did with the 335 as they have the same turbo setup. I personally have a 2009 528i that has just about dam near every option on it that you can get. I bought it because engine wise it is BMW's simplest design out and also the version of the engine that has built BMW...the naturally aspirated inline 6 cylinder. The car is not a rocketship but has more than enough power and has had only one issue since new and that was a rear end whine which was fixed under warranty. With that being said lately I have been looking at 550s. That V8 is just awesome to drive. Sure the 535 is really close in power and with a simple tune easily suprasses the output of the 550 I think the 550 is the smart buy here.

You are going to have the same issue with the 535 as you did with the 335 as they have the same turbo setup.

I had the 2007 335i with the twin turbo N54 engine. BMW eventually did a recall on the high pressure fuel injectors, but mine was already replaced under warranty (twice), and I got the more durable injector that they finally came up with the second time around.

Since then, BMW has gone to a single turbo (twin scroll) N55 for the 335 and 535, and they've improved their direct injection system. They improved the exhaust output from the engine for the purpose of getting the turbo a more consistent power source. Even if I go 550, it's still got a turbo for the models I'm looking at.

Yeah the newer 550s have the turbo setup, forgot about that. Even after the recall on injectors and high pressure fuel pumps they are still having issues though. What BMW really needs to do is figure out a way to stop the intake valves from carboning up with their direct injection setup. Lexus is about the only mfg that has solved this issue in that they use regular injection and also direct injection. The regular injection still sprays fuel at the backside of the intake valves so buildup is a non issue and when you need the power the direct injection kicks in. I really love Bimmers as this is my 4th but their engineering is starting to borderline NASA but hey someone has to lead the field

Latest posts