Bought a bed extender but it won't clear the tonneau cover to go inside bed ????? pictures added.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry Gerner 2

Reaction score
I bought a bed extender form a guy for $40, it came with the pivot bolts and looks to be new or barely used. I get it home and bolt it up but when I go to flip it up into the bed it's to tall to clear the factory tonneau cover.

He said it came off an '04, mine is an '03 and I know all 1st Gen's are the same. Did I buy one for a 2nd Gen or what.

If someoene can take measurements of their extender, height, width, length, etc.. so I have something to go by to see if this might've been from an F-150 or something else that would be great.

I'll upload some pics of it installed and you can tell me if it's the right extender or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
If its more slanted then curvy I guess you could say you have a 2nd gen one. The 1st gen is more "round" if you could call it that. A pic would be perfect! :grin:

I have an 03. The bed extender should rest on the two squares you see about 1.5 inch behind where yours is resting (in the picture above). I'm guessing it is an f-150 flare-side or gen II bed extender?

Jerry,

I don't think it's mounted correctly or it's not the correct cargo cage. The little square plastic feet on the cage should fit into the little square indentations in the tail gate. It looks like your cage is hanging back too far and nearly off the back edge of the tail gate.

...Rich

Jerry,

I measured the one in my 2001 ST:

Width from outer end of tubes = 46 7/8" ( ie; O----------------------O )

Height of all 3 tubes only = 12 7/8"

(ie;

O

O

O

)

Opening between each tube = 4 1/8"

Space between rubber nipple and underside of folding tonneau = 1 1/2"

My two rubber nipples sit inside the two small centered squares as Rich stated.

Looks like he gave you one for an F-150. It is not the correct one. The truth teller is that when out, it should rest on the relief holes in the tailgate. It is too big.

Tom

Topbottom, can you measure form the end of the tube to the back of the cage. When's it's laying down in the tailgate I got 27".

I think I need to cut off a couple of inches from the ends of the tubes to make it work, for $40 bucks I'll cut the .O.B. and make it fit my 1st Gen.

Jerry,

I took out both plastic cap plugs from one of the tubes and placed a straight edge across the open tube ends. I measured from the straight edge and across to the immediate inside face of the tube = 23 3/16"

Let me know if that confuses you or not?

Thanks Topbottom, I'm cutting it down to size now, I'll make a project out of this. "Converting a F1-50 flareside extender to fit 1st Gen".:haveabeer::banana:

I have found over many years of buying used parts or getting stuff from salvage yards that a slightly different Year or minor design change comes into play and something simple turns into a whole project. Like you had something else to do anyway! The bad part will be re-drilling the holes for bolts and lock-pin on the plastic tube ties.

Don't forget - you only have a 1/2 hour to git 'er done before the end of the world, assuming you're on CST. I'm on EST and I'm really no longer here to post this reply.

Done, looks like it was made for the Sport Trac. I'll write up a project for this in case someone else wants to do it. I'll post pictures later tonight gotta go for now.

:banana::banana:

i thought the sec gen sport trac bed extenders were black and the older ones were the aluminum color! i'll buy it if you dont like it i dont have a cover on mine. thanks paul

Here's some pictures of the "Modified" F-150 Flareside bed extender, which is now a 1st Gen ST bed extender. I had to take it apart, cut 2 13/16" off the ends of the tubes, redrill the holes put it back together and it fits perfect.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

:banana::banana:

Latest posts