Bolt Action Target Rifle: Family Fun Shooting!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carey Frennier

Reaction score
I used to be a HUGE gun nut! Back before I really got into performance automotive, assault style rifles were my thing.

I've been out of the game a very long time. Since 1998 actually.

What are the good brands for bolt action target rifles?

I like the bolt action because it's more engaging and it slows the process down and your rounds "last longer"!

I'm thinking something that is cheap to fire. Like a .22.

This is somthing my wife and I have talked about for a couple years now but I have done no research on it since I have been obsessed with my Adrenalins and my Lighting lol.

What do you guys think?

I don't know the first thing about guns--but my brother is an expert on the subject. He's a DNR agent as his full-time occupation (DNR = Department of Natural Resources--I think other states may have other names for their equivalent agencies), and also runs a side business as a gun dealer to LEOs. I'm sure he could answer any questions for you. Send me an email, and I'll provide you his contact info.

For the price. You cant go wrong with ruger or marlin .22 rifles. For plinking..

I think Academy has a good sale on either this week. Plus a box of 550 long rifle shells cheap.

From everything I've read I agree with Eddie.. only problem is Ruger doesn't have a cheap bolt action that I can find only their 10/22 which is can be had for $300ish.. but is semiauto.

But it looks like Marlin XT22 is pretty reasonably priced and bolt action.

I've been reading up on 22's myself I think it will be my next purchase, but I'm not in a huge hurry as my kids are only 3.. A 22 is what I started on and seems like the best option when the time comes for me to teach my kids.

There is a big difference between a "target" rifle and just a rifle. I'm sure you already know that a target rifle would have a heavier barrel. I guess it all comes down to price. When I use to shoot in competition, many shooters shot a Ruger 10-22 with a heavy barrel. It's a very good setup. Here's a link to check out.

Gary D.

P.S. On his accuracy link, he mentions "The Sportsman's Team Challenge", that's where I shot with him.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a Marlin .22 bolt action with a tubular magazine (holds ~22 rounds) back in the '70s. Tough little guy and looks and shoots like new.

I got it to replace a semi-auto Marlin that I burned up shooting target practice. Literally wore out the housing where the bold slides back and forth and it would jam frequently. Gunsmith kept it going for a while and then told me to pitch it and get the bolt action.

I used to have a Colt Match Target H-Bar AR15 and I loved it. It made full use of that H-Bar but I don't really think that I need that for a casual target rifle for the family. Chances are that we will only be able to get away and shoot it a few times a month.

look at a .17 little more energy and fun at distances if a 22 is a must... check savage arms or maybe an AR style although pending on what your shoot 10/22 lots o options for mods later in short :fire::fire: JUST SHOOT

Is there a particular reason for the bolt action? I'm just curious, not trying to persuade you either way.

Federal Bulk Packs are tough to beat for their price. 550 packs are less than $20. I haven't read too many good reviews about the Winchester and Remington bulk packs.

I shoot a Marlin 989 that was my grandpa's. If I were to buy one, I'd choose between the Ruger or Marlin. They are both cost-effective, reliable, and readily available.

Bolt action guns with subsonic rounds are a wild combination. It is quieter than a pellet gun. My neighbor shot his off in our subdivision in the middle of the night without a single person knowing.

Happy shooting!

Latest posts