body shop messes up paint a little - what to do?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John G

Reaction score
I took another car to the body shop for a little $850 repair. It is a reputable shop, and their price was about $50 less than a competitors, so I took it to them. The original damage was a door edge, which was dented a little from hitting an obstruction when it was opened.

The work is done, I haven't picked it up or paid yet, and I took a peek in the parking lot where I saw that the paint wasn't quite perfect. There was a little 2mm size run in the paint on the edge of the door.

I have almost no experience with body shops (before now, only one or two little accidents requiring repair over 20 years, both by my wife), so I'm wondering ...

... what should I say to the paint shop?

Can I demand that they repaint it and get it right? Or ask for a discount because the work isn't perfect?

Or should I just accept that paint shops are going to have little imperfections in their work?

You don't have to accept imperfections from a body shop.

Is it good enough that you'd be happy with just getting a discount? If so, go that route.

If not, request that they fix it. You don't have to be demanding or rude. Just tell them that you expected better. Maybe even mention that their reputation made you think that they would have done better. Tell them that you're not in a rush (unless you really are) and that you just prefer that it be done correctly. Usually, if you're polite and understanding that it's more of an art than an exact science, they'll accommodate you. They'll appreciate if you don't tell them that you require it fixed and correct in the next 6 hours or else. Given time and respect, I would expect that you leave satisfied. They may even give you a discount anyway.

You got it Hugh, being a demanding ass doesn't help at all.

Can you imagine what they do their food or drinks in restaurants? :throwup:

If probably a run in the clear and not a big deal, easy fix. Sometimes these make it past the painter but they shouldn't have to repaint. They will use a razor blade and scrape it off, wet sand and buff, shouldn't take long at all to clean up.

I don't think a run is a big issue since it can be polished out to a flawless finish, but I would not accept the vehicle in the condition you described.

But I really have to question this shop's quality control if they claim the vehicle is ready for pickup and the paint looks that bad....makes me wonder how many other shortcuts they took and the quality of their materials and workmanship.

I would not accept a discount for the flawed paint...make them fix it even if they have to repaint it. I don't know of any good body shop that will compromise quality for cheaper price. Body shops only have their reputation for doing quality work and making flawless repairs...If they don't take pride in their work, the probably will not stay in business very long and are probably ripping off customers.

If you get a discount and you try to fix the paint yourself and it screw it up worse, you will have to pay someone else to fix it and you have gained nothing...make them fix it and fix it and fix it until they meet your standards.

If they refuse to fix it or do not meet your standards, you can take the truck to another body shop to fix it, and sue the first shop for the cost of those repairs...and you would probably have an air-tight case. Just get lots of pictures and estimates to support your opinion that they did a sloppy paint job.

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, so I went to the body shop, and all turned out well.

The technician greeted me and asked me what I thought about the work. I said generally it looks very good except that I have a concern, and I pointed out the dried run. He immediately apologized, said that he had not noticed it, and he offered to fix it if I would wait 15 minutes. And he did. He explained that the dried run was in the clear coat, and this did not require very much work to fix (Dave, you were right) and that there would still be some clear coat covering the spot when he was done. He was able to sand and compound the excess until all looked perfect. I'm happy, the technician is happy, our transaction was completed as planned, and all is well.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad it worked out, I see runs from time to time but my painter usually catches them right away. The others I usually catch during my quality inspection. Sometimes in this industry your eyes play tricks on you and something can get passed you.