Body Lift Questions & Concerns

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTrac

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
Hello everyone,
I'm looking into lifting my 2003 Sport Trac in order to fit 33's. I found the 3" body lift kit on the "Performance lifts" website for $400. I have also found a kit on Ebay for $200. Obviously I would like to go the cheaper route (who doesn't) but I am worried that the kit on Ebay does not include everything I need to make the swap.
Ebay kit:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1447549523...M+w50mazsxjOZehsA/qbNp++lw==|tkp:BFBMtryT45xjAs you may see, the Ebay kit says it is for an 01-02 only however i have read posts that conflict that, saying that kit could work for any first gen.
Anyways, thank you for your time.

Welcome to the site.

You need to look at what all comes with the kit. Does it have Grade 5 or 8 hardware? Some will allow you to download installation instructions. If you look at the footnotes, these will be things that you need to know...

Screenshot 2024-01-07 201138.png

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...MgwMVBQitBh3FqwN9EAQYFiABEgJALfD_BwE#overview
If you look at the bottom of the page from Summit, body kits can come with a bunch of different parts. Things like raising the radiator, moving bumpers, extending shift linkages, extending brake lines, etc. (I'm not saying you need these) But these are issues that can be encountered when lifting the body from the frame.

My personal preference is to do a suspension lift. AFAIK, for the Sport Tracs, at least the 02 like mine is just the TT (torsion twist with a new torsion key 2/3") for the front and either a 2/3" block, 2" add-a-leaf, or a 2/3" shackle for the rear.

Body lifts are the same in gen 1 but susp lifts are not, 04 and 05 had minor changes, bolt on suspension lifts were only made by couple companies and they stopped selling for no demand, i waited 6 months for superlift to make for 04, if you are wanting 33s, you are most likely going to trim quite a bit with just 3, more so on what size tire and kind of tire.33x12.5 mud vs a 33x10.5 at, huge difference. not to mention the wheel off set. people say they run 33s no problem with 3 inch but i would like to see them turn with some articulation and not rub hard core, even turning sharp flat.

Alright cool,
What I am hearing is that I should invest in 3” torsion and shackle lift instead of the full body lift? And with that also invest in a camber kit to combat alignment issues. Again, trying to fit 33’s here, willing to do some trim work.
Thanks for the welcome.

I feel suspension lifts are better as you are lifting the frame higher for ground clearance. Yes, larger tires give ground clearance as well, but body lifts don't.

I plan on doing the TT and 2" shackle with 275/75R16s which is a 32.24" tire.

On a side note... what size tire did your truck come with? It's listed on the door jamb sticker. If yours came with 235/70r16, that's about a 29" tire you may need to change your gear ratio. Gear ratio is also listed on the door jamb sticker.

Way easier to change shift points with a programmer. if you were going to 44s i would agree but with 33s you will not notice or would make a difference, in my opinion. and i have been offroading for 40 plus years,, dam i am getting old.

If you're going to do a torsion twist, make sure you don't exceed 2 inches to reduce strain on your cv joints if you have a 4x4. Imo you shouldn't buy new torsion keys. The stock keys are far better.

Body lifts are the same in gen 1 but susp lifts are not, 04 and 05 had minor changes, bolt on suspension lifts were only made by couple companies and they stopped selling for no demand, i waited 6 months for superlift to make for 04, if you are wanting 33s, you are most likely going to trim quite a bit with just 3, more so on what size tire and kind of tire.33x12.5 mud vs a 33x10.5 at, huge difference. not to mention the wheel off set. people say they run 33s no problem with 3 inch but i would like to see them turn with some articulation and not rub hard core, even turning sharp flat.
My torsion bars are cranked to the max, with 3" body lift. 33's no rubbing

Attachments

• 20230702_151437.jpg
    20230702_151437.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
I am truly impressed, with 4 inch lift we had to trim for my mt, my at still rubbed at full articulation but not as bad, we tried my 33s on a 3 body lift 04 and smashed inner on full turn parked. with 1 inch spacers still hit, he went 32s still rubs at full turn. i have suggested to people over the years you need to choose a tire set up and then do the math. Your truck looks really nice Dmiranda.

My torsion bars are cranked to the max, with 3" body lift. 33's no rubbing
Lookin good.
Would you mind telling me some specs on your tires/rims? I like what you have going on and how they’re not 5 inches outside of the wheel wells.

Latest posts