body color bugshield

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have seen some pics on here before of bugshields that are painted body color. Is this a simple DIY project, or better left to Paint pros? What is a good lowprofile bug shield for and a 2nd gen ST (08 LMT - silver vapor). Are the window and rear vents normally done too, or only the bugshield? any pics or links to ideas are greatly appreciated. thx :D

Typically, when painting a bug shield, you would get a clear one and paint the back side.

This could be a DIY project, just tape off the entire front of the bug shield, so as not to get overspray on it.

You can scuff em, adhesion promoter,color coded base,and clear, and paint the bug shield every six months to a year(depending),the door vents won't get dinged, so you'll only have to do them once. 30 dollars for the stuff, and you'll have leftover paint. 2 or 3 hours, most of it dry time. Not too difficult, but you may find yourself wanting to paint other stuff.:D

clear one with back painted to match

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone found a short bug shield in chrome that doesn't extend over the headlights for a second generation ST ?

Big D, nice looking ride...

Last edited by a moderator:
Big D, lookin sweet. I still want you to paint your cladding black. Not that hard and its the right time of the year to do it. Did mine last month, if you need any help, let me know.

Since my ST is white I just bought a can of the krylon spray paint for plastic and painted the back of my clear GTS bugshield. very happy withthe results, mine is 3 trs old now and no problems.

I think I have pics in my library still.

Heard from two former CHP officers. The reason why red bug shields are illegal is that the sun reflects off the windshield or hood through the bug shield and emits what looks like a steady-burning red light. Emergency vehicles in California emit a steady-burning red light that drivers must yield to. All the other flashing lights are extra; just one steady-burning red light is all that's required.

Latest posts