Blower Maintenance

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack Smith

Reaction score
When I turn the blower on I get a whistling sound from under the dash On drivers side. Occurs at all speeds. Can't locate.

The noise is probably caused by dirt or debris build-up in your blower motor cage or ducting. Since Tracs don't have cabin air filters I'd start with inspecting and cleaning the blower motor. Don't know what year your truck is, but access is probably going to be under passenger side under glove box. Let us know what you find.

I have to admit that when I saw "blower maintenance" the first thing I thought of was "he needs to know how to maintain his supercharger?".

It sounds like a leaf or piece of paper caught in the duct work, possibly at the outlet of the floor vent. Try turning the blower to high and closing or blocking all the vents you can to get the maximum air out of that area. I've had some limited success pushing debris out with that method.

Also, a short cut of garden hose is excellent for finding hissing or whistling noises. Stick one end to your ear, and move the other around until you find the noise. You'll be able to hone in on it by volume, and when you find the source, you'll definitely know it.

I agree with the others. Probably some debris is blocking an air blend door from closing completely and the air leaking past that door is creating the whistling noise.

Perhaps some of the foam rubber door seals has broken off and causing the leak.

Another possibilities is one of the vent pipes has a small leak where it connects to the duct.

The third possibility is leaking vacuum line controling one of the air blend doors.

To help locate the problem, turn the blower on high, and start changing the vent locations dial so that you can listen to the floor vent, the dash vent, heater vent, recirculate vent, etc. When the whistelling stops, you have found the offending door and can then better assess how to fix it.

...Rich

Another remote possibility.

You have to be careful when working on your trac outside with the doors open. A chipmunk could get inside your blower/vent ducts. It could get trapped and die inside. What you're hearing may be air blowing through one end and coming out it's mouth causing a slight whistle as it passes it's teeth. :)))

The blower on a Gen 1 is accessed from the engine compartment on the passenger side. I had a flutter for the longest time which sounded like a leaf and eventually went away.

Also you can find somebody with one of those handheld camera borescopes and stick it inside any orifice you can get to.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts