Block heater installed

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffksf B

Reaction score
So I experimented with a dipstick heater with ok results during the recent POLAR VORTEX. Did some more research and ended up with a block heater. $25 from O'reilleys. This involves removing a freeze plug from the engine block and installing the heater in its place.

Benefits: Warm coolant equals no need to warm your truck up for 15 min. wasting gas.

Warm engine equals less wear on rotating engine mass on startup.

Heater blowing warm are A lot sooner then normal.

I've always wanted to do one of these but I finally pulled the trigger.

Easy install: drain coolant, jack up front of truck, remove RF wheel, knock out freeze plug on RF of engine thru wheel well. I installed a make shift sheet metal heat shield clamped to the exhaust manifold because the wiring comes pretty close to it. Add coolant, route and fasten plug/wire lead. Done. 1.5 hrs. and a couple beers with a buddy.

Looking forward to plugging it in next week when it gets cold again.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:

For those without access to O'reilleys, the brand/ part number (for Gen 1) to google is:

ZeroStart - 3100039 - Freeze Plug Engine Heater, 600W 120V

jeffks - how did you get the old plug out?

Knocked it out with a screwdriver and hammer, it didn't take much at all. It actually got knocked into the block which scared me but It couldn't go far and I got it with a magnetic tool.

I've had factory block heaters on all my trucks, 2- F-150s and my ST. Really nice when it's -20s like we had recently. Truck started up a lot easier/faster than without it. I never let me vehicles warm up for more than 2-3 minutes, they say 30 seconds is all you need, idling longer is worse on the engine. It'll warm up faster with 5 min of driving than it will in 15-20min of idling.

Latest posts