Blinking Fast!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MARVIN McINTYRE 2

Reaction score
Can someone tell me what is happening with my right turn signal/brake light ? I replaced both the front and rear bulbs, but now I continue to get the fast blinking result instead of a regular blinking of the lights to indicate either a stop or turn? The housing for both seem to be okay except for that "burned" look from the constant heat over a period of time.

Thanks for your help to anyone who has had this happen to their truck!!

First, Check to see if the symptoms remain when the steering wheel is positioned all the way to the UP position.

If it starts working with the wheel up, you have the common problem that the Gen1 Tracs have. The wire pulls out on the connector to the emergency flasher inside the steering wheel housing.

Here is a link to a project for the repair.

I was not previously aware that the Gen2 Tracs continued to have the same problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for those tips and fixes, guys!:banana: Johnny O, is it possible to buy the socket itself? I checked fuses and they seemed to be okay. I may attempt to go with the fix suggested by Uncle _Bob, though I fear a failed non-attempt at the thought of actually doing it.

If the ST has ever had a recurring glitch, then this light/stop/turn signal thingy has to be its Achilles Heel:btddhorse:

Thanks to all who helped me out here:supercool:

Yes, you can get the connector as a pigtail with lengths of wires.

The link below shows a thread recently where I was looking for one myself.

To All who responded to my query about the turn/stop light thing with my ST. I think maybe my socket may be the issue. I bought and installed another bulb (3157K) but it did not fix it, so now I bought a new socket and will see if it works. I swear it acts just like the pereinial left turn signal symptom that has been discussed here many times before. It is supposed to come today so we will see. What is the trick in getting the top of the steering wheel column cover off? I tried it but it seems to bind itself even with the steering wheel tilted all the way down. May end up at the stealer :angry:, oops, I mean dealer, and see what they charge to fix it.:cry:

I finally took mine apart yesterday. Not that big a job, just have to make sure you seek out all the screws to get panels out of the way. Once I got the cover off, it was easy to see which wire was the problem. Be not afraid!:supercool: