Black Powder Guns

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
was not my intent to incite A riot folks.:eek:

All Gun powder is Hygroscopic ( Attracts water) all gun powder over time will corrode steel.

The reason I suggested Pyrodex is #1 it is safer than Black powder, is not an explosive, black powder is, it is a propellant like smokeless powder (althouge the inventer of Pyrodex was Killed in a horrific Explosion at the factory years ago)

I would not store black powder in my garage, have no issues with pyrodex, it is safe and not as corrosive as B.P, period.

I have one rifle That I reload for, an 1886 winchester cal. 40-82 that I do use B.P in.

I buy it in small amts, if any is left over I pour it on the garden (Nitrates make great fertilizer)

Cleaning the rifle is a PITA for sure, thats why I suggested Pyrodex.

And Rich, should you want to redo the experiment useing real B.P, Lose the bic lighter, you could get hurt:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Bill Barber,

No riot. Glad you cleared it up.

(each of the above is a little chill pill)

Personally, I think we need to get past this: "I've got a HO to prove you wrong!" disease which seems to have infected this site.

TJR

All Gun powder is Hygroscopic ( Attracts water) all gun powder over time will corrode steel.

If, by "All Gun powder," you are including smokeless powder, then, no, not all gunpowder is hygroscopic. The primary ingredient in smokeless powder is nitrocellulose, and it does not attract water. A smokeless gun can be put away dirty, in modest humidity, and is not at substantial risk from rusting. Not true of a black powder or black powder substitute gun.

Cleaning the rifle is a PITA for sure, thats why I suggested Pyrodex.

I don't find a great deal of difference between the two. They both foul a gun badly.

And Rich, should you want to redo the experiment useing real B.P, Lose the bic lighter, you could get hurt

Nah. Without solid containment, it's just a puff of smoke. Didn't you ever cut open firecrackers when you were a kid?

Smokeless powders do indeed contain a small percentage of moisture. That's not really the issue though. What is an issue is the composition of the condensed combustion products and how they promote, or don't promote, corrosion.

I rarely clean barrels fired with smokeless powder, and even though they are stored in a high humidity location (70-80% in the summer) rust is not an issue. I primarily use black powder as an ignitor rather than a propellant, but parts that are exposed to the combustion products do corrode faster.

Tom,,

I didn't forget you. I e-mailed my brother and he has not gotten back to me..

If he does, I will get back to you ASAP...

Personally, I think we need to get past this: "I've got a HO to prove you wrong!" disease which seems to have infected this site.

That is funny right there...

Actually, I never heard of pyrodex. Glad I asked about it. I havent purchased the kit yet. Waiting for the weather to turn really bad. I need a winter project. I am looking forward to building it. I think it is going to be fun.

Tom

Tom,

Here is a black powder pistol kit I put together 30 years ago.

I have shot many rounds through it using the powder in the picture

and have had very little rust problems.

I just wash the gun in soapy water when I'm done shooting, oil it and put it away.

The only rust I have had on the gun was around the cap nipples.

It's hard to oil good there.

If you are getting a flintlock you should be able to oil the exposed pan with ease.

I also have a flintlock rifle. No pictures, it is in pieces right now for a refinish on the stock.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

I hope this helps.

Chad

Thanks for your input Chad.

Of course, thanks again for the tour. It was really awesome meeting you in person.

Tom

Your welcome Tom.

It was great to meet you also, two and four legged.

You and most members are welcome to come by and take the

tour anytime.

And members don't forget, I now have a trap field at my house.(see library)

Chad

Chad, nice piece.

Todd C. said:
Smokeless powders do indeed contain a small percentage of moisture. That's not really the issue though. What is an issue is the composition of the condensed combustion products and how they promote, or don't promote, corrosion.

I rarely clean barrels fired with smokeless powder, and even though they are stored in a high humidity location (70-80% in the summer) rust is not an issue. I primarily use black powder as an ignitor rather than a propellant, but parts that are exposed to the combustion products do corrode faster.

Todd, was hoping you would check in. I suspect you know more about this stuff than the rest of the membership put together.

Latest posts