Black Hills, SD

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Ellis

Reaction score
Just got back from a trip to the Black Hills and the Bad Lands in SD with a side trip to Devil's Tower Wyoming. From St. Louis, round trip total with sightseeing was 2575 miles. Used 121.85 gallons of gas at a cost of $355.41 [ave $2.917/gal]. Trip MPG was 21.13. Not bad considering running at 75+ mph, lots of steep hills and A/C on. Four passengers and the back loaded with luggage. Drove through a herd of Bison in the Bad Lands. Yes, I said through the herd. They were crossing the road and traffic just drove slowly through the herd. They were so close one could almost reach out and touch them. My Trac now has 65,xxx miles on it and didn't use any noticeable amount of oil during the trip. Changed it the day before we left and it's still right up there on the full mark. With cruise control on in the hills, shifting was crisp with no signs of flare. The Trac perfomed great and it was a comfortable ride the whole time. If you've never been to that part of the states, I highly recommend it.

While parked at the motel, a guy came up and told me I had a nice truck. He then said he owned a similar Toyota truck at which time he just shook his head. I think he wished he had bought a Trac instead.

Last edited by a moderator: