Bit Rates when converting a mp4 file to mp3

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaRue Medlin

Reaction score
My MP4-MP3 converter works great! BUT it is set to default at 320. The mp4 file is @4k and converted its 1mg. Now, if I lower the bit rate, what would be a good setting to still get "cd" or real good quality?

LaRue,

I had this same question a few months back. I read up on quite a few different sites which all point to 256 as being "CD quality". If you are not too picky (stock car stereo) 192 seems good enough for most people.

Last edited by a moderator:
I re-converted a couple of songs from 320 to 220 and 192, very little size difference and "MY" ears could not tell the difference between the two,, so 192 will be the story. I guess I halfway answered my own question huh?:blink::blink::blink::blink: Thanks

192 seems to be what the majority of people are using.

Set it to the same bit rate as the original mp4 file. Any higher won't do you any good and any lower you'll be losing too much quality.

Of course, the best solution is not to covert it at all. When you convert from mp4 to mp3 you are going from one lossy compression to a 2nd lossy compression. The resulting mp3 will never sound as good as your current mp4.

Yea Mark, but that is the only way to get an itunes song to a cd or mp3 player. And I can't find anything that tells me what the bit rate is on the mp4 song.

What "Me" said. 128kbs is the norm, anything above that you aren't going to discern with the naked ear. Sure, some will claim different but they could easily be fooled in a blind test on "regular" equipment.

TJR

Latest posts