Bird Flu Entry through Port Of Miami..NOT GOOD!!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny...funny picture!!! However...the bird flu is not a funny thing! I am a Critical Care RRT and the US healthcare system...as of today...is EXTREMELY ill-equipped to handle a pandemic/epidemic. If the bird flu hits the US...with any severity...we're f#@%ed!!!

Dan

Dan : Don't worry....... our goverment is playing this up so they can have another way to control us & take away more of our freedoms. I for one will not fall for it...........

Martin,

Dan is correct. As a physician and pharmacist, I have a little knowledge in this area. Not just the USA but the whole world could be devastated by the bird flu. The current bird flu is of a subtype called H5N1. The H and N are designations for the main surface Glycoproteins hemagglutin and neuraminidase. The strains that humans have some resistance to are a combination of H1N1, H1N2, and H3N2. The H5N1 virus infects the airways of birds. For some reason it does not easily infect the airways of humans. The danger is that if someone does get infected with the H5N1 virus and also have one of the above mentioned viruses that are common to humans in their system also, THEN the two different viruses can exchange combinations of the hemagglutins and neuraminidases and VIOLA now we have a combination that could easily infect the airways of humans.

This is exactly what happened in 1918 when we had the "Spanish Flu". It has been called "The Mother of All Pandemics" 50 million people died from this virus. Some people have estimated that many more than this died. Maybe as many as 100 million!!!! What was different with this stain was that it was killing young and otherwise healthy people. There are stories of people being well in the morning, began to get sick during the day and were dead by nightfall. If anything like this gets out, don't even think about going to the doctor or the ER. They will not be able to do anything for you unless we have a LARGE stockpile of TAMIFLU and RELENZA witch are the only agents they MIGHT help if you are lucky enough to get them quickly.

Something like this could throw us back into some sort of "dark ages".

Sorry for all the "DOOM and GLOOM" but I've been preaching this since the 70's and unfortunatley I think that we may see something like this in our future.

Jackie

Jackie...thanks for the vote of confidence.;) The way this flu attacks the airways is the major concern we have as critical care providers. It is estimated that a pandemic would result in the healthcare system being short 115,000 to 120,000 ventilators. That is a huge amount of equipment to produce/buy/rent etc. The other shortages in medicines, staffing and facilities only add to the many problems we'll encounter.

Stop your worrying & don't lose any sleep over this. It's only killed 110 people worldwide in 3 ( THREE ) years !!! I don't call that a PANDEMIC...... come on !!

Stop your worrying & don't lose any sleep over this. It's only killed 110 people worldwide in 3 ( THREE ) years !!! I don't call that a PANDEMIC...... come on !!

Maybe it is supposed to take our minds off the gas prices. LOL

Tom

I love the way the media is already creating/discovering new words for it.

"This is goin to be an epidemic! No--WORSE than an epidemic! What can we call this thing that will cause so much panic?

Um--A 'panic epidemic'? No, that doesn't have much of a ring to it.

A 'panidemic'? Better, but still too long.

Wait--I got it! We'll call it a 'pandemic'!"

This will last until the next big thing hits--maybe in about three years, when we all get hit by the Y2K-X virus.

"Let's call it a--'superdemic'. No, how about a 'colossal epidemic', which well shorten to a 'colodemic'!" ....

Bird flu, west nile virus, mad cow disease, SARS, lyme disease. That's it, I'm staying home.

:wacko:

Dan -

"Critical Care RRT" = fancy name for a nurse?

(No offense, just trying to be PC...... :cool: )

I too am offended, and I think anyone working in the plastics industry, those that have ever owned a real bird, those that own lawn decorations and those that are color blind and otherwise "tackiness challenged" should be offended too!

We have to stop this trolling of funny posts subjected as real news...that too offends me!

P.S. No, I am not really offended.

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
In 1974, Newsweek described Global Cooling as an established scientific fact and a grave threat to humanity.

Last month, in a special edition dedicated to Global Warming, featuring the title, "Be Worried. Be Very Worried," Time Magazine said the Earth is at a "tipping point" and that it was not a matter of if, but when, the disasterous effects of Global Warming would change the world as we know it.

So, what happened to Global Cooling? Aask a scientist who advocates Global Warming. Many were proponents of Global Cooling thirty years ago. :wacko:

A couple of years ago, in a high profile press release and press conference, the CDC announced that obessity is an epidemic which contributes to the death of 400,000 Americans annually. Then, after intense scientific peer scrutiny showed the study to be flawed, the CDC quietly revised the estimate downward to 26,000. But the original, high political volume announcement is what the public heard. Damage done. More fuel for the fire of people who want being fat to be declared a disease so insurance companies and governments will be forced to spend billions on whole new categories of drugs and medical procedures. And then there are groups out in the world who are desperate to control what you eat. They used the momentum of this study to get soft drink machines kicked out of many school systems. Your tax dollars at work in the field of "science." :rolleyes:

I'm sure there are circumstances in which Bird Flu could become a widespread problem for humanity. And I am sure that the various political, media, junk science advocates, and members of the tin foil hat crowd will do their best to scare you with these predictions. Any good salesperson will tell you fear sells far better than a color brochure.

Take it all with a grain of salt. Do your own reading and gather facts from all sides of a debate. Don't let such predictions rule your life. Most often, they are made by someone trying to sell you something. If, after rationale analysis, you feel there are changes you should make to minimize your risk, fine. Just don't read the headlines, then run out to turn your life upside down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ironic. Right after I wrote the above message, I checked my email and had a message titled "Companies new product protects food supply against Avain Bird Flu." It was a stock tip.

Geez.

I'm offended because I didn't get the same stock tip. BWAAAAAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA!

Latest posts