Beyond the 7 Yr/70K Miles Warranty

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MH Ariola

Reaction score
Anyone purchased an extension of their original warranty? If so, from whom, how much, how long and how reliable. Never put this much mileage on one of my vehicles before; hit the 70K mark 2 years shy of the 7 year max! Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanx.

I purchased one many years ago called "Royal Warranty" on my Dakota Sport. I paid like $800.00 for bumper to bumper for 100,000 miles. I sold the truck at 70k and the company reimbursed be the unused portion - got a check for like $290.00.

Never actually used it tho - the Dakota was pretty good - V8 - towed a 6,500lb camper with it. NEVER had any problems.

I'd recommend the warranty for anyone.

That's correct. It was peace of mind. Like an insurance.

I still recommend it - mostly because they were so quick in refunding me the unused portion in a friendly manor.

Most insurance companies are much harder to get the same service.

Just Jimmy,

I'm glad it was worth it to you.

But as far as insurance goes, if you think of an extended warranty as insurance, than it's a bad type of insurance.

It seems that most manufacturers price a warranty such that its cost is equal to about 1/2 of the actual charges one would be out on the off-chance some set of "worst case" problems hit them.

Put another way, I pay 50% of the repair bills up front, for something that is unlikely to ever happen.

Sure, if you get some money back, then I guess it's a better deal. Still, if a manufacturer puts out a good product, then an extended warranty is for suckers. If they put out a bad product, then the extended warranty is for the suckers who keep the product until it is off warranty.

TJR

hmm...

I guess I'm being called a sucker. Hey, been called worse.

In any case...

I bought it because I was planning on towing something that was at the maximum towing weight capability of my vehicle. The warranty vehicle was 3/36 and I planned on keeping it longer than that. Just felt that the added protection was worth the gamble - just in case. After all, extended warranties are a gamble - everyone knows that.

To me, I was really taxing the vehicle and I wanted the protection that would have been non-existent with a warranty only and would extend for the full 100,000 miles.

It worked for me - and I "still" recommend it to anyone for the reasons I explain.

By the way, my ST has just the standard manufacturers warranty - because I don't plan on max-ing out the tow weight like I did on the Dakota. No extended warranty on this one.

I've had Geico Insurance for over 15 years now and as far as extended warranties go.....the dealership one's suck and are too over priced.

I have mech breakdown insurance with Geico and it's really cheap since it's added to my premiums each year....

For those with new trucks, you can get more info below........ "It's so easy, A cave man can do it" :D

TJR,

Was kidding - sorry if I came off like that. I tried to make my comment lite.

Really - I love this site and the information that is passed. I certainly don't want to build that kind of reputation.

I'll word replies more carefully in the future.

Latest posts