Better MPG

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Lovell

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 04' XLT Flex sport trac and I am looking to do some upgrades to it. Mainly I am wanting to improve the MPG's (extra HP wouldn't hurt). I have read about cold air intake, performance exhaust, chipping, and things like that. With a budget in mind what will give me the best bang for my buck? I changed my spark plug wires and installed e3 spark plugs, but I am not for sure what my next step should be. Any suggestions?

Also what is the Velcro for under the arm rest? I cant figure it out.

Thanks,

Greg

My understanding from being on this site for about 9 yrs. is that the no. 1 thing to get better gas milage is to keep your foot off the front bumper. After that a CAI of you choice, a single-in/duel-out exhaust, and a SCT XCalibrator tuner. Also, a good synthetic oil has shown to help. I run 35 psi all around in my tires too.

:worthless:

Unless I'm mistaken, probably a typo and meant E85 Flex Fuel. No?

jim p- Just like golf huh? :grin:

Thanks so much for the help. my friend has a SCT X3 Power Flash Programmer that he used on a 03 Focus SVT, will that work for what I want to do? he is looking to get rid of it would it be a wise purchase for my vehicle? Or do I need a different SCT programmer?

Thanks,

Greg

A guy on the website sporttracclub.com that is getting like 33 mpg. One upgrade that he stated that was verified netting about 2-3 mpg is using the demon coil with upgraded wires. Then gap your plugs to 0.65.

Greg,

I would not believe anyone who says the get 33 MPG in a Sport Trac. Period!

Some aftermarket equipment can allow your engine to operate more efficiently, but generally the cost of these modifications may not pay you back for many years. Most mods only make some very minor improvments to your MPG and are difficult to prove bacause any gas savings could be nullified by just having to stop at a few more traffic lights during your daily commute. You would need to conduct very accurate before and after laboratory style test to really see if there is any improvement.

You have no control of the traffic in the area where you drive, and starting and stopping can really eat the gas for a heavy vehicle like the Sport Trac.

No one thing you can save you more gas than changing your driving habits...and that does not even ost you an extra dime.

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator: