best tire size for 20's

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chargedtrac

Reaction score
Hi.

I picked up some Adrenalin wheels but they need new rubber.

Looks like stock tire size on those rims is 255/50R20, though I notice that at least one person (Bob C), has 275/45R20's. Are you happy with your's?

The 275/45R20's are closer in overall specs (diameter, revs, and speedo) to my stock 245/65R17's. Looks like I have a better choice and price on the 275's as well.

I'd appreciate any recommendations from those who have 20's. Thanks!

I don't have 20s, but that's the size I would go with: 275/45. It's very close to your stockers, so your speedo won't be off, and you won't notice a loss of power/braking due to upsizing. There's a couple of Coopers available in that size -- which have great reviews (treadepot.com).

Hello Joe, yeah the 275 was as wide as I could go without any rubbing. Bigger sizes will sorta fit but those tire sizes may not actually be made by anybody. Example: 285-295/35 don't exist. My rims are 8.5" wide, don't know what the STA wheels are. I use Toyo Proxes ST2 tires and they are phenominal in all weather conditions. Even in snow (got caught with an unexpected storm before I put the snow tires on) Would highly reccomend these tires to anybody stepping up to that size, Good luck, send pictures, BC :supercool:

Thanks guys. I hadn't been to treaddepot.com before. They have a few choices & some good prices. I'll go with 275/45's.

I want to stick with A traction and A temp. They have a good price on the Toyes Bob, but can I ask if you are haopy with the treadwear? They're rated at 280 where most of the other makes are 420AA. Your's probably grip great being a softer compound. I would like them to last a while and don't know that 280 v. 420 gets me a similar treadlife?

At 420AA they have Hankook Ventus, Kumho Ecsta, and a Yokohama Parada Spec-X (that has fairly good ratings). Goodyear Eagle GT II's for $103 have me a little suspect. I had the Eagles on an 88 Monte Carlo SS and they were a little slippery even on dry pavement.

I plan to keep my stockers with the Fortera's on the 17's for winter, as they've been okay. There's always seems to be a trade off to deliberate.

:banghead:

Will post photos after its done. Can't wait til the snow melts up here. I think there's still a couple three weeks before then. :driving: Thanks again.

I was extremely happy with my General Grabber UHP's in the 275/45-20 size. The only fault I found with them was that they would tend to flat spot if let sit for more than a few days. Everytime I got in my truck at the airport after a week or two out of town they would take 10-15 miles to warm up and the ride would smooth out again. They were cheap, quiet and very grippy. They seemed to wear well, although I sold them wheels and tires after about 15K miles so I can't vouch for the final mileage.

Joe, I put about 12K on the tires before they came off and the tread still looks like the day I got them. I haven't had any of the issues noted above. There are many good tires on the market for 275/45-20, its really up to your wallet or sense of style. I went with those because I wanted a tread pattern that had a "V" shape to it and I read some horror stories about others during my research. Its the tire I had to have. BC

Hello Joe. Just to let you know, when I was researching the 275/45/20 tire for the Adrenalin rims, I found that the tire makers recommended at least a 8 1/2 inch rim width. I believe the Adrenalin rims are 8" wide rims.

I wouldnt worry about 8" vs 8.5" rim. your only looking at 1/4" on each side of the tire body difference. 275/45, be ok. I wont push a tire on a rim that is more than 1/2" off though. Especialy low profile, on a truck

I was running 315/30-17 on 10" on rear of my '94stang.

[Broken External Image]:

I had forgotten about confirming rim width on the wheels. I know I won't be auto-crossing the truck or overloading the bed with weight. so hopefully the slightly narrower rim width won't bother tire sidewall flex enough to have any issues. :sad:

Thanks everyone. I appreciate all the input. :supercool:

Joe M. in this pic i have 50 series tires on.

[Broken External Image]:

and in this tag line i had 45 series...

[Broken External Image]:

check my library for more pics...

I like the 50's better... [Broken External Image]:

It fills the gap better. I didn't enjoy how there was so much space between the body and tire... and also the ride was very HARD with the low sidewall...

Thanks for the visual Rob. The 50's look good on your truck, and so do the wheels. :grin:

I think I have a game plan. I appreciate all the great input.

:banana:hello Guys

ive owned my trac since the end of 06 and came across 20 inch rims and i was in doubt wich tire to buy and by reading this reviews you guys are a great help now i know that if i buy 275 50 20 it will look awsome.

QUESTIO?

the 20 inch rims have rubber and its 275 35 20 i had to install the because have to wait for the new rubber,if i drive with these tires for a few days will i have any mecanical damage ?

Joe, no damage to your truck will occur by running those tires. Your speedo will be off a few mph. My suggestion for you is to go to the site below and play with rim size and tire size until you find what you like. I've used it, its very simple, just click on the tire calculator button. Input your stock size and it does the rest. Good luck, BC

re: best tire size for 20's by rob,3/18/2010 13:25 ET

Sorry for the confusion the tire size is actually SUMITOMO'S 275/55/20's.

rob

Rob, 275/55/20's with no rubs ?

Latest posts