Benefit of going from stock 235 to 255??

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick Mitchell

Reaction score
I have searched all the old posts and read a lot about tires. I am going to get some new ones soon. I have 2002 with worn out 235/70/16's. As my name implies, I know nothing...so why would I want to go up to 255? The seem like they would only "look" about an inch bigger and possibly screw up the speedometer. What other considerations are there? Are there other benefits one way or another I am missing? Thanks.

(I don't know if it makes any difference, but it is a manual transmission)

(Final add....I am probably getting Mich. Cross Terrains, which is what is already on there)

Last edited by a moderator:
you would get better traction but you are geared for 235's so your speedo will be of a little you will most likely not notice any performance difference

Mine rides better after getting rid of the 235's. I don't notice EVERY little bump in the road. I went with 245/75's. Not as much road noise (humming) as the 255's and just a fraction smaller in hight as the 265's. The height is actually "cosmetic" for me. I wanted something that would fill in the wheel wells more than the 235's. It also put alittle more "air look" under the ST also. Here are some before and after pics.

235/70's:

[Broken External Image]:

245/75's:

[Broken External Image]:

I get some very minor rubbing at full turn but not enough to be harmfull.;)

Check Tirerack.com to compare the circumference of the tires you are looking at with the ones you have. The 235 to 255 really only addresses the width, you could possibly get a 255 that won't change your speedometer at all, or at least not enough to worry about.

I made the 235 - 255 switch. The truck looked great but never felt as quick afterwards. The shift points were thrown off and the drive ratio is lowered. I suppose an Xcal2 would have helped but I never got that far.

I chickened out and stayed with what was on it (235's). Matches the spare (which is also a Cross terrain) and now I don't have to worry about anything else....for now.:blink:

They guy I bought my ST from put 255's on as soon as he bought it. The rear driverside wheel well is all torn up and the front driver side wheel well rubs quite a bit on sharp left turns. For some reason though, both passenger side wheel wells show slight rubbing but no damage. It's about time for me to get new tires, I think this time I will be getting 245's.

C2

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts