Beer!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed C

Reaction score
Well, here's my my first try at making my own beer. It was supposed to sit in the fridge for another week but I cheated and opened this up. It's no worse than something like Coors. :smile0014:

I'm looking forward to my next batch...:smile0012:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
NICE! I know what it's like to "cheat". I can never wait till my beer is ready. I keg mine and the day after I keg it I "test" the carbonation. Good thing about that is that forced carbonation in a keg takes as little as a couple of days. I'm drinking a nice ESB right now and will be kegging a robust porter in a few days. Next up is another IPA, haven't decided what hops to use on it yet though.[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome!

Why is it sitting in the fridge? All of my recipes have always called for bottle conditioning at room temp.

I've got an ESB and a Pete's Wicked Ale clone I will be kegging in a few days for my superbowl party. I've read that force carbonation only takes over night, so I force carbonate and wait for it to get cold and drink. I haven't had any issues yet.

It sat at room temp for 2 weeks. Now is just "cold" conditioning. I'll be using Saaz and northern brewer hops in my next batch.

Huh, never had any recipes call for that. It looks like it has nice carbonation so I just wasn't sure. I'm no pro for sure.

Well, this is just the Mr Beer kit. It's nothing like what Mike has in the pic above ( Nice BTW). Their recipes are set so any idiot like me can do it. I think all their recipes call for cold conditioning after 2 weeks room temp. Maybe someday I'll graduate to a better kit....

My dad and I made a batch once with the standard 5 gallon bucket and store bought ingredients etc. It was a white, lite beer. It was very good and very similar to Budweiser etc.. It actually tasted very good and refreshing. I was kind of amazed because I am not a 'flavor' as in dark beer drinker at all and I thought that's how our batch would turn out.

I used to brew beer. I'd go to the UK every few years and would invariably literally smuggle beer-making kits with real hops, yeast, and so on into the USA.

I almost got caught in 1994. We landed at Houston and were met by a USDA beagle. He was sniffing everyone's luggage as they stopped at Customs. The beer-making kits I had contained really strong-odored hops. I could smell them stored in my carry-on even while in the overhead bin on the airplane.

I lucked out. The beagle went nuts on a guy's bag that was three people ahead of me. I mean, it really went ballistic. The USDA agents all came running and they started ripping open the guy's big suitcase right there on the floor. As all this went on, I quickly sneaked by. Turns out, the guy had ten pounds of British bacon wrapped in foil...a big no-no.

My troubles weren't over, however. The DEA had a basset hound doing random sniffs of bags at the next station. I was smuggling about 150 tablets of over-the-counter Vicodin. Lucked out with that one, too.

Finally kegged my two superbowl party batches. I hope they taste as good as they smelled.

Anyone who wants to make the drive is more than welcome :smile0011:

I'm fermenting what I hope will be an extra stout. So far it looks really dark with a nice 3 " layer of krausen. I can't wait to taste that one.

Latest posts