Bed Lights

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zudnick

Reaction score
Hello,

I know that there are at least a couple of posts in the Projects section, but I wanted to see as many examples as possible for putting lights in the cargo bed…

I was thinking specifically of mounting some kind of flush mounted light into the side(s) of the bed and having it (them) hard-wired into the cargo/interior lights on my 2004. Has anyone done something similar? What wires did you tap into and where did you run them?

Please post any pictures and details of your set-up.

Thanks,

Z

I know a lot of people are using the RECON LED brake lights.

here are bed/cargo lights.

I have been thinking of getting these.. but was waiting for blue LEDs

I am also looking at doing something for bed lights. Although those led ones linked above look cool I cant see spending $100 for bed lighting when it could probably be done for less than $20 with any number of available lights. Also I think you could buy some led light stripes for a lot less elsewhere. Im interested in seeing what others have done so please post.

I have a factory bed cover, so I made a flush fiberglass enclosure to hold 4 L.E.D lights with 4 lights to each, that is mounted underneath the cover. If you dont have a cover you could just make it flush with the side, I guess. I ran a switch inside the extra acessory plug and tapped into that. If you need I can get a pic of where the switch is exactly. I did the project kind of in a rush to get it done for a meet, so its not the best, If I could re-do it I would have angles them a little better so it could get the back of the bed. The pictures really dont show how bright it really is. hope this helps, if you have any questions let me know.

[Broken External Image]:

this shows how it is flush

[Broken External Image]:

this is the L.E.D's lighting the bed.

[Broken External Image]:

The L.E.D's on.

Boodro

Last edited by a moderator:
I used this light which I got on ebay and hooked it up to the dome light. Used one on each side.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Hey,

ScoTt, that's very similar to what I had in mind...

I was thinking of using more of a flush mounted light (see the link) just to offer the light a bit more protection from whatever I put in the bed.

Which wire(s) did you tap into, and where did you run your wires? Was it very hard to do?

Those RECON bed lights look pretty cool too, but I'm with firedog -- looking to do this for a lot less money than those are!

If there are any other examples for what people have done for bed lights, please keep the posts coming...

Thanks,

Z

Yes they do swivel. I did the project to have the third brake light come on when the dome light does soon after picking up my '01 in Dec. '03. I just tied into that connection and ran the wire down and out of the trac below the sill under the back door. There is a rubber plug there that you can puncture and feed the wire through. Then just feed it up and under the trac to both sides. I had to cut a inch and a half hole for each light to allow for the swivel. They may have been a bit pricy but the amount of light is perfect. Well worth it IMO.

ScoTt,

It looks like you have one of those rollaway Black and Decker toolboxes

like I have!. But mine will not stand up, about 2" too tall (that figures!).

How did you get yours to stand up?I have to lay mine down, and

all of the small stuff scatters!

Gotta do this project on mine...:)

TnB...

Tracnblack - the tool box fits perfectly like they made it for the trac. I'll take a look and see if it still has the name on it and let you know. It holds alot of stuff and you can remove it when you need the bed space.

Allright, Guys,

I've read so much on the bedlight project, I had to go get my own set today!

Got 'em at the WallyWorld for fifteen bucks. Judging by the cases and the

cheaper silicone gaskets, I don't know if I would use them as the outside fog

lights that they are intended for, but they should be perfect in the bed of the

Trac. They came with the whole install kit:

[Broken External Image]:

Here is a close-up of the lights and swivel brackets:

[Broken External Image]:

I plan on installing them next weekend, weather permitting, and that will give

me time to figure out exactly where I want them.

Until I do, a Cousin of mine who lives just a little ways down the holler, has been

kind enough to loan me his bedlights:

[Broken External Image]:

Thought you'd like that!

By the way, does anyone know the specs on the bed outlet, as I was thinking of

wiring them in there. The lights are 2-55w H3's.

TnB...;)

If you wire them into the outlet in the bed, where you going to put the switch? It will be dark when you need the light. That is why I went with the lights I could wire into the dome light and they come on when the dome does.

I was thinking of putting the switch in the flat bottom part of the enclosure

for the bed plug. From the outside, it looks like it will fit. Kind of like Tom R.'s

pic above. I can find the switch by feel if I have to as the bed plug is easy to

find in the dark.

Latest posts