Bed cover choice

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B Lindler

Reaction score
Just recently purchased an 08 Sport Trac. Been thinking of a bed cover. Birthday coming up! But I need advice. Factory hard cover seems very expensive. Was thinking of Truxedo Lo Pro. Anyone have any suggestions or recommendations? I very rarely haul anything large. Would like to stay in 300 range and not make any additional holes in bed.

Thanks for any input.

It seems that the OEM bed cover for the 2008 is similar to the 2001. The 2001 bed cover is well built and the tailgate can be opened with the bed cover closed. They are expensive, though. Maybe a used one (350.00 to $500.00)?

I like the hard cover for the security, but this may not be a problem depending on where you live and or vacation. Also, medium weight loads can be placed on the hard cover.

Thanks YardSale. I hadn't thought about light loads on top. Hmm...my 08 needs to tell me if it wants a hard hat or soft hat. My hesitation is being away from home and needing to carry or move something that would require me to take off the hard cover. My hesitation with the soft cover is somewhat irrational....worried that someone will vandalize the soft cover. The majority of anything id carry would be small stuff, but I can see needing to carry a bike, chair, etc.

Depending on where you live/travel, I wouldn't worry too much about the soft covers. I see more trucks with soft covers than hard. Many of them have metal frames these days, yet still can be moved (mostly) out of the way when you need an open bed.

It's probably true that one shouldn't worry about vandalism and theft with a soft cover, but in So. Cal., we've a lot of ne'er do wells.

The versatility of the soft top is convenient, but how often? I have not removed the hard cover. I plan ahead and either fold the rear portion forward, prop it up a bit, leave the tailgate open or tell the fried that I can't carry the couch.

bman, I have 07 with factory hard cover. Folding half usually works on hauling a chair. Couch.....I have unhooked my top a few times, kept it folded and stand it on edge on inside of bed side and secure w/ bungee cord. Only thing , it is heavy and at my age I have someone help me.

I thought about replacing w/soft cover but did not want to give up lockable security.

Bill

I thought bed covers were stupid and only would get in the way. Then a factory hard cover popped up for $150 so I decided to give it a try and could resell it for a profit if I didn't like it. I haven't removed it since and have found it useful for loading the bed and even strapping stuff on top of the cover. I don't make a habit of it but I can stand on top of the cover to remove stuff from my roof rack. I will be removing the cover this week so I can haul mulch and will probably leave it off until fall hunting season.

I can't speak for aftermarket covers or soft ones, but the factory hard cover has been surprisingly versatile, durable and doesn't require modification of the bed at all.

I think most aftermarket covers, hard or soft, are designed to fit without modifying the truck.

I think some of the soft covers are lockable. I looked into them a bit when I bought my '02 two years ago. Instead, I put a toolbox across the front and built a homemade plywood cover based on the one in the projects section here. I liked the toolbox, but then I found a topper/shell for it last May. I don't see that coming off any time soon. At the same time the topper showed up on craigslist, there was also an aftermarket full length hard cover for sale, and I bought it a few weeks later. I may never use it, but the price was right, and it matches my truck. I bought my '01 last spring, and it has a full length aftermarket hard cover on it. That one is taller than most and sits 3 1/2 to 4" above the box, where the one for the '02 is flat. I like both the topper and the hard cover, but I have trailers for the bigger things.

I assumed you had to attach something for the soft tops. I'm really pretty ignorant on these things.

I had something typed about the trailer but deleted it. Having the cover on has resulted in using the trailer more but the trailer really is easier to use in every respect, especially since my truck is lifted. It fits more; it holds more weight; it's easier to load/unload, etc.

Almost all the soft covers these days have some sort of aluminum frames, and I think most, if not all, are designed to attach to the truck without messing up the truck. HUGE improvements over the older ones that required snaps or Velcro to be installed on the bed rails.

The topper uses clamps that bolt into the factory threaded holes in the inside of the bed. The aftermarket hard covers have a metal frame the hinges and gas shocks attach to, and they use clamps similar to those used for the topper. Probably not helpful to the OP, but may help others reading this.

Latest posts