Battery Problems

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan Lipinski

Reaction score
Hi i have been having battery issues and i need a bit of help to narrow the problem, so i bought a new battery at auto zone because my 1 year old one decided to die, but now a week later its "dead" again but yet it still has decent voltage and i have let it sit on a trickle until it said it was good. The truck just will click then everything will go out when i try to start it. The alt is putting 14v at idle. Tomorrow ill check for a parasitic drag but could anything else cause this like a starter or cables.

I appreciate all the help i can get electrical issues drive me nuts.:angry:

Bad connections corroded or loose, loose wire at starter or a bad starter for that matter my guess is a bad ground or battery wire is corroded at connector..check all the battery cables positive and neg.. see if there is any splits in the outer covering and swelling from water getting in if so replace.

You couldhave a bad diode in the altenator.

Also, along with what roamer said. My '73 340 Cuda had a bad positive wire from battery to starter. It was swole up and the copper was corroded the full length. Replaced it and all was good.