Battery Light

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Boling

Reaction score
I've got a battery light coming on at above 3000 rpm. Noticed today as I was bringing the boat home. Gage looked OK, right in the middle of the H and L marks. Any Ideas of what to look for prior to going to the dealership?

2005 Trac, 32,000 miles

Chris

Usually, from prior experience, a battery light means alternator problems. Don't use the old trick of taking off the battery cable. That will mess stuff up. Have the alt tested. Hope this helps.

I agree with 01 trac mind....get the battery and charging system tested...auto zone and some of the other parts places will do it for free....no need to have the stealership charge you for it...unless you are under warranty....

Could be the belt or the belt tensioner as well.

Pretty common to lose the ability to charge as the RPM's increase due to load. If the belt slips the alternator does not match the RPM's....

There are two parts to the alternator output, Voltage and Current. The gauge on the dash measures the voltage which should be about 14.2 volts with the engine running. The alternator may have blown a diode and the current output may have been affected.

Fixed! Bad alternator, replaced under warranty.

Good job University Ford in Durham NC. In and out in the same day, they even gave me a loaner to get to work.

Latest posts