Battery Cable Question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 64847

Reaction score
Found the cables and posts had acid corrosion on 'em and went to clean them up and the clamps just fell off. Can they be replaced without having to go for all new cable assemblies? Thanks, Tim

Yes, but not very well. The usual cheap bolt on clamp terminals are nothing but trouble because they provide an easy route to more corrosion, and they have a limited contact area for good conductivity to the cable. Best to replace the cable assemblies instead of using these nasty bolt-on clamps.

If you want to just replace the clamps, best to use something like these in the video below, rather than the worthless bolt-on clamps.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are several types of battery cable clamps that you can use. Bolt-on, which has two or four bolts that clamp the cable to the new connector, crimp-on, and solder. With crimp-on and solder connectors, you can slip on a protective shrink wrap over the new connection to keep the end of the wire protected. With the bolt-on, the next episode of corrosion will easily cover the wire end again.

Also, excessive corrosion could mean the post is leaking.

I think that the corrosion is not the fault of exposed wire, but of battery acid leakage.

When the thin steel OEM clamp disintegrated, I replaced the positive on mine years ago with a lead two-bolt terminal. I used stainless clamp bolts, washers and Nyloc nuts. All are fine.

The corrosion is usually just due to the gases being vented by the battery. Does not usually indicate a problem, just part of the normal process. If it builds up quickly, it could indicate a problem with the regulator allowing the alternator to overcharge the battery. Overcharge probably isn't technically correct, but it's charging the battery at too high a rate and creating more gases.

My truck has the bolt-on cable ends. They aren't ideal, but they work with minimal problems. Swapping out the entire cable is not as easy as it once was. They snake around, down, and under the engine, and are fastened to several places on the body as they go.

I recommend replacing the entire cable after having a bad experience once.

My truck was having intermittent starting issues until it finally stranded me. I didn't have time to do repairs and so a local shop change out the starter. Well a few days later the starter would not work until I gave it a wack. Did the same a day later, so I took it back to the shop. They replaced the starter saying the other one was probably defective. Two days later the replacement starter acts up again so now I'm fuming and I said I don't want their cheap remanufactured starters. They agreed to let me get a new Motorcraft from a Auto Parts store. (their supplier did not carry Motorcraft).

When I got to the Auto Parts store (Carquest), the Owner asked why I wanted a brand new Motorcraft that was going to cost big bucks? I told him how aggravated I was with having 2 bad starters and didn't want anymore as I was too busy to have my truck down. He looked in his catalogue and brings me a one piece factory positive cable and said put this new cable on and if it doesn't solve you're problem, come back and the cable will be free with the Motorcraft starter. He said it's rare, but the cable sometimes looks OK at the battery connector but corrosion builds through the sheathing along the twisted multi-strand wires and causes a diminished Amperage flow to the starter.

Got the new cable installed that evening and didn't have any problems after that. All because of a $6.00 positive cable.

If your end has rotted off, just think of what it may look like where you can't see - inside the sheathing. Best to get a whole new one piece cable to give your starter full juice.

I recommend replacing the entire cable after having a bad experience once.

I also had a extreme corrosion once. The corrosion went down the cable almost to the starter. Replace the whole cable and starting issue fixed.

Maybe try the felt washers upon reassembly. I've used the green and red felt washers on the posts for years. They work. Dielectric grease also works but is messy. I put them on every new vehicle or battery.

How long does it take for the cable to corrode into the insulation - years?

It takes a few seconds to check the terminals, and 10 minutes to clean them, maybe once a year.

For those who prefer retail service, it's sad that good help is hard to find.

@Yardsdale

Yeah, normally I would change out a starter myself by I was crazy busy with work and figured it doesn't cost much to have someone do it. Mistake? Yes, but being crazy busy I'm thinking I would not have thought rationally and done the same by just replacing starters instead of thinking outside the box about a bad cable.

At least I had the garage to blame instead! :grin:

Latest posts