Band adjusrment

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did the flush, drop pan, new filter, install drain, and re-fill with Mobil 1 ATF last summer.

There was a small amount of sediment in the pan, no metal.

Like I said, the tranny is doing fine.

I do have one minor issue. The shifter is getting a little sloppy and does not move as smoothly as it did when new. It's not the loose bracket/torx bolt issue. I checked that already.

I did replaced the shifter shaft bushings in the column two weeks ago and noticed a little improvement, but it still doesn't "feel like new" (which in this case, is something I can remember!)

So I have decided to replace the shifter cable. When I replace that cable, I am going to adjust the bands since removal of the cable attachment at the trans is part of the band adjust procedure anyhow.

This is my "do all you can while you're in there" approach. In the grand scheme of things cost of parts is nothing. Cost of labor is everything, whether its your own time or someone else's.

When the mechanic said I needed new lower ball joints and he would do the job for $500...

I spent $300 and changed upper/lower ball joints, tie rod ends, and wheel bearings myself.

That way I know I won't have to go "back in there" for a long time.

Dean,

Like I said, the tranny is doing fine.

Then why do you feel compelled to adjust the bands??? Everyone here has advised you against doint that! There is an old saying: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". :smack:

Fixing things that ain't broke often results in breaking things that weren't broke?

Replacing warn suspension parts rarely results in a bad outcome and is probably a smart move, however making band adjustments to the transmission that do not need adjustment can often result in bigger problems.

However, you seem to be insistent about adjusting your transmission bands, so I will not attempt to advise you against it.....

...Rich

Because band friction material wears. As the material wears the bands begin to slip slightly during the shifts. As they slip slightly the wearing becomes more accelerated.

If I attempt to adjust the bands (by following the factory procedure) and I find that the adjusters have not moved significantly from their original positions, then I am rewarded with the knowledge that there is long life left in the band material (and hopefully much life left in my transmission).

If I find after adjusting that the adjusters have moved somewhat, then I know I have now adjusted them to the design's intent and that I have done a positive thing to improve the life of the transmission. Shifts will occur more sharply with little time for the bands to slip. I might even feel an improvement in the shifting.

If the adjusters are way off, well that would be a concern. That would mean that the bands have worn significantly. I might want to snug them up, sell my trac and look for something new. In any case it is till good to know. This I doubt is the situation since the trac shifts OK right now.

The last option is that I somehow screw things up while adjusting. I have little reason to fear this happening. Two things could go wrong. One is that I loosen the adjuster and the adjuster decouples from the band. The other is that I somehow over torque the adjuster and a band breaks. Since I am aware of these situations before hand (and I know how to use a torque wrench) I am not concerned about either of these cases occurring.

You guys make it sound like these are "magic voodo screws" and the Robot is screaming "Danger Will Robinson".

They are a simple adjustments and the procedure is described in the manual.

Dean

Ford lists a procedure for adjusting the bands ONLY on trans assembly, It is not a maintenance adjustment. Even in their troubleshooting procedures they NEVER list adjusting the bands.

If you feel the need to really adjust the bands while you have no symptoms then go for it. Fords position on this is that the bands never need to be adjusted and I agree with them. More often than not if the bands are slipping there is a fluid or a fluid pressure issue. Back in the old days we used to adjust trans bands all the time but that was before we could constantly change the fluid pressures inside of the trans so the band adjustment was necessary.

I don't really think that you are going to mess something up by adjusting the bands but I also don't think you are going to gain anything either. IF by some strange chance something does go south though at least fess up to it and let everyone here know.

Latest posts