balljoints or end links?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaun Tucker

Reaction score
I'm hearing a squeaking/grinding noise coming from the drivers side front suspension while turning the steering wheel left and a creaking noise in the same place when the truck leans back due to acceleration.

Same squeaking noise is heard when going over larger bumps.

Does this sound like something more attributed to End links than Ball joints or vice versa?

Need advice please!! :( (2003 XLT 4X4)

You might need to grease the sway-bar bushings or all the rubber bushings. I spray the rubber bushings with 303 protectant. When I worked in a gas station many years ago, we sprayed the rubber bushings with 'ruglyde' (sp).

Here's another link...

http://www.vapnapa.com/bk7651338.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Theres a good chance you need both.

Jack up the front end wedge a shovel under the tire and pry up on it to see if there is any movement, if there is then ball joints are bad.

Forgot to mention, where the cladding meets the fender, seems to be a source of very loud squeaking on my trac. I don't know if it's just a plastic to metal thing, but I notice it more when I put it up on the lift. You said a grinding noise also. My 01 did that just before the front axle crapped out. Hope it's not that!

You may wanna check those tie-rod ends while you are under there..

Mine were wore out..and one of the main reasons mine squeaked while turning the steering wheel..

I had everything replaced...there is nothing more aggrivating than tracking down a squeak...

Sounds like tie rod ends.

Just slide under there with a 21mm wrench and using the tie rod adjusting lock nut, just move the tie rod assy. back and forth without loosening the nut. If it's a tie rod, you will probably duplicate the noise.

hey guys just went by my buddy's shop. we figured it out, the upper ball joint on the drivers side needs to be replaced. might as well do upper and lower. think i should do both sides?

Unless you just wanna do this again someday...:D

Do both sides..you'll sleep better at night..

No need to replace any that aren't worn.

True, someday you may need to replace others, but if they aren't worn out, why do it now?

Logically speaking...all of the wear and tear on the front end didnt just concentrate on the driver's side upper ball joint...it was shared by every part under the front end..

I wouldnt stop with the ball joints...I'd eventually replace everything under there over a period of time...Why?

Peace of mind...My loved ones ride in and drive the Trac...

No amount of money you could ever save would replace a loved one...

Hal..I get what you are saying..tough times..money is hard to come by...but there is no time limit on it..replace the stuff when the money is there..

I may differ from others...I HATE a squeaking front end..:D

Wolf, if it's squeaking, by all means replace it.

However if it's not worn and isn't causing a problem, it seems like a waste of money to me.

JM2CW

One way to determine if the upper or lower ball joints are worn is to have a wheel alignment. If any of the front end parts are worn an alignment is not possible and the alignment shop will so inform you.

For my preference, if one side is worn, the other side went just as many miles and is probably going bad also.

For a DIY job the cost of both sides is not that much if you are only doing the upper ball joints or the lower. The tie rod ends are about $45. Just purchased these, (Moog) from O'Rielly's. Real easy to put on. Also replaced the upper ball joints, now headed to Tires Plus fro an alignment. Purchased a three year alignment and I take my ST in three times a year for this.

Latest posts