Ball Joints Fixed! One other "clunk" though

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Thomas 2

Reaction score
So I fixed my passenger side lower ball joint (the one I botched when replacing it last month). I tore the boot pretty good installing it, and it never had a chance. New one is in, and the clunking is all but gone BUT sometimes I do hear something. Could it be in the torsion setup? If I sit in the truck and rock my weight back and forth (side to side) I hear it in the front somewhere. Its a clunking sound, not sure how else to put it. I also heard it while driving it today. I'll have to pay more attention and see if I can isolate it to one side. Recent changes have been end links, lower ball joints, and shocks. Is there something in the torsion setup that wears down? Could it be upper ball joints at 70k miles?

Thanks guys!

I thought I had a ball joint problem. The noise kept getting worse. My mechanic told me it wasnt a suspension problem, we narrowed it down to brakes. I looked everything over and found that the caliper bracket was coming loose. Tightened it up and now no clunk

SB, you can go under and spray Armorall on the rubber things. If the clunk stops, you can narrow it down after the Armorall wears off.

Might be cab to frame bushings. My '04 bushings are deteriating already. I thought ford solved that with the '04 and up model. Guess not. I live in the south no salt on the roads. While plucking the bushings with my fingers. I have maybe 1yr or less. Then my cab will be loose....:banghead: dang it

when I first purchased my Trac I had a clunk also. Mainly when going up inclines! It was still under warranty! It took the dealership 5 times to figure it out that it was a cab bushing!!

Latest posts