Ball Joint Noise

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis Smink

Reaction score
2001 Ford Ranger 4 Liter 4 wheel drive

Started hearing a noise when I turn wheels to the left only. Definitely metallic noise, almost like popping. Also, just noticed that the same noise happened when I got out of the truck. Could this be ball joints? It doesn't clunk like I imagine CV joints would.

I think that ball joints would be a clunk when you turn the wheel. CVs would sound more click-click-click. Look for bad rubber boots on the CV joints.

'hope this helps Ed

How many miles on the ST??. Replaced the ball joints on my ST at 85,000.

If the CV boots are intact, take the ST in for an alignment. If the ball joints are bad an alignment cannot be done. The shop shoud inform you of this.

If the ST clunks when not moving, but when you get in or out it could be anything in the suspension, even a shock absorber.

Start with the alignment.

Ball joints can be replaced DIY. There is a project link to this.

Sounds like ball joints. I had a 2002 Ranger and a 2005 Sport Trac previously and on both had ball joints replaced on warranty. This means before I hit 36,000 miles.

There are about 150,000 miles on my truck. I thought that maybe the noise was there only when the truck was moving and turning steering wheel, but I was wrong. If I turn the steering wheel when the truck is stopped, I still hear the noise.

Yeah, I looked at the project for ball joints. Looks a little involved for me. I could probably do it but I might check what my mechanic would charge.

I was actually going to ask this question soon as well. It doesn't do it all the time but when I do turn the wheels to the left it does seem like it "pops" (kinda like the clunk) sometimes. But it doesn't do it all the time. I had the ball joints on the right side replaced under warranty before. So maybe the left side is time? Could both the upper and lower be bad? When my ST last had an inspection the mechanic couldn't believe how tight the front end was. Now it seems sloppy to drive on the highway.

Latest posts