Ball Joint Install

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wes Davis

Reaction score
I am thinking about doing my own ball joints. I have never replaced ball joints. I have been watching all the YouTube videos and I would like to give it a try for the experience. I need to purchase a ball joint press. I see they come with different size adapters. Does anyone know what specific size adapters I need for the Sport Trac ball joints? I want to make sure I get the right set. I will also need to purchase a set of snap ring pliers unless someone has a work around for these pliers.

Thanks

Rent the tools. You have 90 days. You basically buy the loaner tools then return them when you are done and get your money back. For the minimal times you do ball joints I can't see it being cost effective. I think I typically do ball joints one time for each vehicle I own around 100k. I can't remember exactly what collars I used but all the different size collars come with the press. Also don't forget a pickle fork. I used my air one to pop the tie rods and the top ball joint. It was pretty straight forward job. I did upper and lower ball joints, inner and outer tie rods, wheel bearings, sway bar bushings and end links, and control arms/bushings. Front end drives nice and tight now.

+1 on getting the ball joint tool set from local parts store. Buy it if you want, but you really don't need it unless you're planning to do dozens of these jobs. A decent set of snap ring pliers is good to own though.

How important is it to also replace the bushings?? I replaced the ball joints on my 2001 about four years ago with Moog. They are now ready for repalcement. The bushings are the original (now 13 years old). Seems like they ned to be renewed.

Any comments???

Thanks.

If the lower control arms were not replaced (not required with the Moog ball joints), they are probably due (as might be the rear suspension bushings; have them inspected).

Contrary to what many shops will tell you, the bushings for the lower control arm are available and can be changed retaining the lower control arm. I think they want the big bucks for the control arm (bushings are 10 to $20 each) and don't want to bother with pressing out the old and in the new bushings.

The right upper control arm rear bushing on my ('01) died after 100,000 miles (control arm was wobbling). It's Moog. I think this is unusual; perhaps a defect. I'd get them again.

I replaced the upper control arms (with new bushings and ball joint) on my 2004 with 75k at the time. I just replaced the lower ball joints as the bushings looked fine. You can get new lower bushings at rockauto for around 10-15 a bushing.

Latest posts