Ball Joint Change...How to

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lester Durst

Reaction score
List: Is there any posting about how to change out both upper and lower Ball Joints?

Ive got tools and a hydraulic press. Im wondering if I should "locate" a set of used upper control arms with bad Joints, install new Ball Joints when I have the time at my conveinence and when I go to change out the Joints all I have to do is remove/reinstall the "new" upper assembly.

I think the lower L/H joint is starting top "pop" on the wifes 02 ST.

Lester

Not sure how many miles are on the vehicle, but it seems way too soon to be replacing ball joints. When is it popping and how? Is there play in the steering maybe? My other truck is a 94 toyota and the ball joints are in pretty decent shape on it with 135,000+ miles on it.

The ST is notorious for eating up ball joints and control arms. Most Tracs need new ones by about 60K miles. I had to replace them on my kid's Explorer with only 62K miles.

I took a sharp exacto knife, sliced a 1/8th inch hole in the boots of all of my ball joints, and filled them with grease. The grease is available from your autoparts store, and it comes in a pressurized can. Actually, I think I got mine at Walmart....just cause I was already there doing Christmas shopping....

This made my front end a great deal more quiet when steering or going over bumps, cut out a lot of squeeking. I know my ball joints need replacement soon, (80K miles), but this may have bought me some time.

Funny thing is, when I cut the hole in the boots, water came out of a couple of them (?!?!?!?)

I wouldn't recommend slicing a hole in your boots with an exacto knife. The hole may continue to rip or tear until you no longer have a boot.

They sell a needle adapter for grease guns to puncture the boot like a syringe into a drug vial vial / IV tube. The needle is actually syringe like, and should allow the boot rubber to reseal / heal itself somewhat.

Not sure about the Trac, but I have been able to, to drill and tap some ball joints and install grease zerts....the way I have found the ball joint will take zert is if when the drill goe through the cap...it doesnt hit solid metal imediatly...if the drill goes in at least a 1/2" it will take a zert and it is grease able..if not I expoxy seal the hole.

eh, dust boots are over rated anyway! on my jeep half of the boots arent even there, but they are greasable, i dont worry about them cuz all the boots do is hold in sand mud and crap. when i grease everything it gets pushed all out so ...

oohh and just so ya know my jeep is just a permanent yard ornament, so take that into consideration too as it almost never moves but mabe a few times a year. HA

Last edited by a moderator:
Lester, the lower ball joints are easy to change. A small hammer will remove them once you remove the clip. For the upper ball joints, the right side is simple. Go to the parts store and ask for the upper ball joint. You will see how easy it is to replace. For the left side, IIRC, you have to replace the upper arm. Not really hard to do.

An hour or so each side.

Tom

Latest posts