balance weights location

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Heckler

Reaction score
I have the STA with the 20" wheels. Are the balancing weights supposed to be on the outside? They are such nice wheels the weights make them look tacky. I have had aftermarket wheels in the past and the weights were put on the inside. Should I just make the dealer put them on the inside?

What have others seen?

Go to a good tire shop and have them rebalance the wheels with the weights on the inside. Theoretically it will not be as good a balance job but you might not notice anyway.

They are supposed to be dual balanced.

YOu can have them static (one side) balanced at just about anyplace that sells and installs tires. Sam's Club, Walmart, Sears etc.

WHen they balance them they should put weights on the inside of the rim and also on the outside of the rim but they won't be hammer on weights they will be stick on weights. The outside weights actually go right behind where the wheel spokes meet the hoop. On our machine at work we have the capability to actually set the machine so that it figures out where and how much weight to put on and have it hidden behind the spokes so that you don't see it from the outside.

I have used tape weights for years on alloys. Always got a good ballance from dicount tire. My high performance cars smooth even to 160mph.

All HYPO cars should have the inner and outer aspect of the wheel balanced, that means wgts on both inner and outer.Especially if you run wide rims like my Roush at 10.5 In.

Static balance is fine for a trac.

Gold standard is to have them force balanced, have mine done twice a year.

Stick on weights on the inside of the rim work fine, just as long as they don't hit anything. The weights on my Honda had to be rebalanced and moved because they were hitting the brake caliper. I also had a Buick Regal that the stick on weights it a tie-rod end....Not sure why they designed the clearances so close, but I guess they were not expecting someone to put alloy wheels on ???

...Rich

Latest posts