Baddest Sporty Build... need help!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So if you lower the offset by one inch or 25.4mm, then the backspacing drops to 4" and that can work correct?

I just didn't know the math; never cared much to figure it out once I figured out backspacing. If your math is correct, and I assume it is because you just popped out a conversion, then yes. 4" seems to be the sweet spot but I like to think my 4.25" is perfect, because everything I do is the best way.:grin:

@Travis:

I can't exactly tell what you trimmed at the front. Is it just that little corner? For the record, I've had mine in every position I think and still haven't trimmed anything off the front.

I think because I have a 3.75 backspace the tires rub on that corner while turning and flexing but I cut that little corner of and no more rubbing it on the front so that's all I needed

Last edited by a moderator:
15x8 with 3.75" backspace is perfect. On a 15x10 you want 4.0" to 4.25" backspace. More than that and it will rub on the inside. Also 10" wide wheels put more strain on the front wheel bearings which aren't that stout to begin with. Less backspace = more strain. You can do it, just plan on replacing the wheel bearings every year or so.

I'm wondering how long my bearings will last. I've had 35s for about 3k miles and no bearing issues yet (knock on wood). I've had the truck for about 60k miles, bought at 55k and not sure if they were ever replaced before I bought it. Another interesting note, same brake pads since I bought it and they're still not showing significant wear. Plan to replace both this fall regardless as I really want to flush all fluids and change the rest of the serviceable parts I haven't already gotten to.

@Rangers484

Thanks for that link... Like I said it looks like with a -25mm offset I will be running 4.5" backspacing. Is that too much? I forgot to measure what my old 33" rims were before selling that truck, but I had zero issues with those 15x10".

@JohnnyO

That's not exactly correct! I ran 15x10" (on my white ST above) and I put them on at 25k and drove it to 105k with zero issues. I never replaced the bearings or ball joints and I drove the heck out of that truck. Lucky or more stout than we thought?

@Hugh

I replaced my brake pads at around 60k and then did rotors at 105k, but I drive pretty hard :)

Ben, your white ST was a 2wd, it had regular wheel bearings and a spindle. 4wd ST's have knuckles and hub bearing assemblies which are more prone to failure under more stress. I've replaced mine twice but I also live in a city that's nothing but steep, windy hills with roads that are rougher then a level 2 trail, especially in the winter and spring with the potholes aka (sinkholes).

same here... ive replaced both of my fronts about 3 months ago so ill see how long a set lasts... if they do go bad every year thats fine with me because the 2 i bought came with a 3 year warranty... if they go bad i just take them back for a free replacement

@Jerry

Wow, learning something new everyday! Thanks for setting me straight on that. Well it looks like I'm going with the 3" BL, 4" susp lift, 1.75" TT, and rear shackles. What kind of mileage can I expect to get out of these with only straight highway driving? Like I said this is only my winter beater to/from work 10 miles away!

@travis

That's a brilliant idea... so when I have to replace them, pay a little extra to get ones with a warranty eh? Thanks again everyone!

4.5" is probably going to be too much backspacing with a 10" wide wheel and 12.5" wide tire. If more height and snow driving ability are your goals, I really recommend an 8" wide wheel to make the tire taller instead of wider to fit both your height and snow requirements. You may even want to look at a more narrow 35 for snow driving. I'm not understanding why you're set on a 10" wide wheel given the information you're telling us. It defeats your ultimate height desires and makes you less capable in snow.

I still get about 21 mpg highway but my highway speeds actually consist of 55 or 65 mph and never over that and I use cruise control and never allow the engine over 2,500 rpms. Your results may vary.

FYI, those warranties generally allow you one free replacement, not a lifetime of free replacements.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get the add a leaf like Hugh has installed (I plan on switching out my shackles for add a leafs hopefully before winter). You get the same lift, it's stronger and it's a half the price.

@Hugh

Yeah, I was not reading that correctly... looks like it's going to be more like 3.6". Is that better? I agree and understand an 8" wheel and narrower tire will perform better in the snow, but I just can't get past how much better a deep dish wide rim looks. Not to mention ST's are so tall and top heavy that they look goofy if you just keep going up with it and don't add any width. This is my way of trying to a steadier base even if I do give up some snow performance. At least I wasn't asking about fitting 24" wheels on this :)

The speed limit on the interstate here is actually 110km/h (68mph) so I have no problem driving 65. I babied my old ST on the highway and I know running 35s and a bigger lift will require the same.

@Travis

What brand or place do you order these from?

@Jerry

Thanks again for that tip. Who makes this kit and where is the cheapest place to order it from so I can get it on the road to me :)

It's Pro Comp 13120

With 3.6" backspacing, the Superlift will definitely help with the trimming you'd need to do. You'd be in for some hacking with that little backspacing without the extra lift.

I hear ya about the deep wheels. You'll get the look you want and the performance will be just fine for your needs. BTW, what wheels are you getting? Picture? Not Rockstars, I hope. Please don't be Rockstars.:bwahaha:

I air down my tires offroad and didn't want to increase the risk of losing the bead so 10" wide wheels were out of the question, along with the extra trimming they would have required because of the backspacing common to those width wheels. They seemed to always be 5" or more or 3.75" to 2.5" backspacing. For the lift you're doing and look you want, I think you'll be alright.

@Jerry

Thanks man... they are ordered!!

@Hugh

Thanks man, they are in route to my house!

That's exactly what I want... a good mix between look and performance because lets face it, I'm not going to be climbing any rocks or taking my clean @ss truck in too nasty of mud. As for Rockstars, I'm so thankful we're on the same page! I'm not going to lie, I'm a pretty massive guy and I would love to just knock out every idiot I see with those wheels. Who knew such a simple design would be so popular. gross!

So you think I'll be ok running 3.6" backspacing? I don't care how much trimming I have to do, that's no problem. I'll just get all the done before paint and it will look fine.

I'm going to keep my wheels a secret, until it's all done! Give me 3 weeks and I'll post lots of pics :) Wait... it might be longer as I hear part of the superlift kit is backordered! sh!t

@Jerry

Thanks man... they are ordered!!

@Hugh

Thanks man, they are in route to my house!

That's exactly what I want... a good mix between look and performance because lets face it, I'm not going to be climbing any rocks or taking my clean @ss truck in too nasty of mud. As for Rockstars, I'm so thankful we're on the same page! I'm not going to lie, I'm a pretty massive guy and I would love to just knock out every idiot I see with those wheels. Who knew such a simple design would be so popular. gross!

So you think I'll be ok running 3.6" backspacing? I don't care how much trimming I have to do, that's no problem. I'll just get all the done before paint and it will look fine.

I'm going to keep my wheels a secret, until it's all done! Give me 3 weeks and I'll post lots of pics :) Wait... it might be longer as I hear part of the superlift kit is backordered! sh!t

3.6" is less than I'd prefer, especially with heavy 35s on there, because it's going to push that weight out further, but I think you'll be alright if you go into it with the understanding that you'll have routine suspension maintenance more often. It's really not much different than the 3.75" that others have run, though.

Latest posts