Bad smell from vent only

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan Peters

Reaction score
Doesn't matter if it's warm or cold, but its smells like diapers. Will an oder treatment found at any auto-parts store do the job or any household remedies?

I would say if the vent air smelled kinda "moldy" (not like diapers) an aftermarket dis-infectant (Lysol. Ozone, Pinesol) sprayed into them would solve your problem. At last resort, maybe some bleach sprayed into the vents / ducting. Just don't get carried away so that liquid is returned to your cabin when you turn the blower on

Not to get your thoughts running wild or anything, but 0last time I had a smell coming from my vents, it turned out to be a rodent nest (including dead rodents) that had found their way into the vents from the firewall (F-150 not ST).

Only way I was able to get rid of that smell was to replace the ductiing. I tried bleach, Lysol, Pinesol and even Muratic acid to no avail! New ducting was the only thing that eliminated it.

Good luck!!!!

When I bought my ST used it had a bad smell from the vents and the dealership sprayed some stuff throught the blend door behind the gove box.

Not to be redundant, but the Lysol should do the trick. I had a recurring problem with mold in the HVAC system of my '90 Probe GT. When it started to smell like something dead, I knew it was time to spray.

Is your evap drain plugged by chance? Do you see the dripping water under the Trac when it is running (meaning both the A/C and the engine)?

If not, could be plugged and you are smelling the mold that is trapped within the duct box of the evaporator core.

Latest posts