Bad Ilde? HELP!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Teitell

Reaction score
My idle had been very rough lately. I believe it is because when i turn my engine on it revs up to 13000rpm then i hear a click lowers down to 900rpm , then reclicks and goes back up back down etc. I found the reason for it and have taken a picture. But can someone explain to me what exactly that is, why its doing this, and how to fix?

P.S. i just recently cleaned the IAC and throttle body.

Thanks,

brian[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Is you AC on?

Your picture is pointing at the compressor, so it sounds like you are either low on freon and this is driving the cliking sound or compressor is bad.

Jose

The clicking is the A/C compressor clutch engaging which puts a load on the engine thereby dropping RPM's. When it disengages the RPM's will go up. That is normal.

Look at the PDF's in the AC folder in my library for the the operating conditions of the compressor.

Low on freon would mean my a/c would not get cold correct? But my a/c seems to run fine and even with a/c its still clicking....

EDIT: If this is normal how come it has just recently started to happen?

Last edited by a moderator:
Low on freon would mean my a/c would not get cold correct? But my a/c seems to run fine and even with a/c its still clicking....

EDIT: If this is normal how come it has just recently started to happen?

Sounds like your Freon is low. Mine would get cool, but not ice cold like when new. AC started cycling a lot. Recharged ac and it quit for a while, then started again.

Finally, the ac compressor failed and I just replaced the truck.

Have someone look at your ac charge and if is low, recharge it. If it starts cycling again, you may have a leak.

I had the same problem with my '01...it was low on freon which made the ac compressor cycle more often, messing up the rpms...what i did was had the ac recharged, which partly solved the problem, but then i also raised the engine idle rpm a few hundred rpms, using the project on this site. this solved the problem!

Good luck

Andy Szkutak

Latest posts