Backup Power

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzz worth

Reaction score
Since last fall brought us the remnants of Hurricane Ike and January deposited the worst icestorm in this region's history, I have been researching adding backup power to our house.

The possibilites are many and range from (relatively) large units placed in the yard and hard to hide to your small portable units that can power a few things.

I'm probably going to drop my $$$ on a Honda EU3000is and have an electrician wire the transfer switch into my home circuits. In my case, this seems to be the best combination of clean power and economical use. The large units would be in the $5-6000 rang and use ALOT of natural gas when called into servce. (Like $70-80 a DAY) The unit is so clean that it can power computers and electrnic gear without any worry.

The portable Honda unit is only 58db (at most.....less than normal talking volume) and can run for up to 20 hrs on less than 4 gallons of gasoline.

The wife and I spent 4 days huddled in one room of the house with a kerosene heater and a noisey generaor on the porch this year and we decided that would never happen again. (not te huddling part.....I hope)

Has anyone else addressed this ? I suspect once I make this investment we will not need it, but those were some scary and busy cold days when we had to keep stretchng cords all over the property.

My dealer is really working with me and I feel it's a great deal. By the time I am done with the electrician, I should have about $2500 in the whole thing.

ss

Had the same Honda in our last home, transfer switch is a must have and by law in my state mandated.

Is easy to calculate the wattage needed, we did the lgts, pellet stove, T.V and puters no prob with the 3000.

But, in order to run the fridge or any motor device, you need to shut off all circs to the rest of the house, start the fridge, set it to max so it will keep running.

Than power up the rest.

We only had to use ours 3 or 4 times in 10 years but the Honda worked flawlessly.

My total cost was around 1600, Gen, switch, 80 bux for the electrician.

Is really a no brainer hookup, but I don't do elec stuff.

Before Ike I bought a harbor freight$400 on sale, 5500/6500watt Honda look alike. The motor is built just like the honda 13hp,elc start. china made. My brother familiar with small engines couldnt tel the difference. Including the names on some of the parts. Wired it into my house box. Ran it 24 hrs a day 18days. 6gallons/12hrs use. I may convert it to natural gas. When there is no power. It is hard to find gasoline. I keep 25gallons for emergencies.

I ran everything in my house, lights, tv, cieling fans, extra fans, microwave, coffee pot, toaster oven, except AC and elec. stove, could use one top burner at a time. Going to buy a small one room window ac, 110v soon for the next time. Night sleeping in the houston humidity sucked.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts